The Price of Beauty

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On the one hand, this photo says it all. On the other, it doesn't even come close to capturing the way I feel when confronted by a mirror. Affronted. The word is affronted. Walking down the streets most days, I half-expect people to turn on their heels and flee—to run for their lives from my untame-able hair, my ever-pursed lips, that indent in my brow that screams, I'm thinking. On my best days I'm wearing two-inch heels, no higher. I'm toting a no-name bag, wearing some little bought-it-on-sale number. Bought it on sale, then put it away, then pulled it out of the closet three years past its fad date. Please please please don't get me wrong: I know how to dress when I have to. But most of the time, I'm just me, and me is the girl-now-a-woman who stands on most every conversation's margin, hoping to be noticed not for what dangles from my ears, but for what I have to say.

Being a writer, like I'm sometimes a writer, my whole lack of beauty thing shouldn't, in theory, matter. But the fact is, it does. Young female readers, according to a Sunday NY Times story, want their characters endowed with fashion sense and beauty knowledge. They want nouns accessorized with brands; they want the lips through which their characters speak drawn on with the most mod-possible lipwear. Once one of my friends was reading one of my books and called just slightly disgruntled. I need to know what kind of pants this girl is wearing, my friend said. Because, I swear to you, Beth, she can't be wearing trousers. I can't read this if this girl is wearing trousers.

Well. That's it, then. That's it for me. I thought I'd chosen a career that let me get away with being me—that girl with her head in the sky and her nose in a flower, that woman with her brow pressed against the window glass, wearing some torn-up old T-shirt and wishing for a conversation with the moon. Beauty counts. Everywhere it does. And I can't even keep the smoky-eye thing straight.

7 comments:

Emmie (Better Make It A Double) said...

As a 34-year-old whose friends are helpfully suggesting where I might go to cover the gray, I can so relate to this. I wish I could ignore all the beauty standards I am required to abide. I find them boring, a bother, not worthy of my time. Plus, even when I try, I'm not very good at it. If I fail in this area, it cost me, in my career and in my general credibility. But- I'd love to read about a character that flaunts all those standards and gets away with it.

Little Willow said...

I am currently wearing a skirt I've had for over two decades. I wore this skirt when I spoke in front of a hundred kids and asked them to make me their fifth grade class president. They didn't, but that's all right. I'm still the little girl with the big voice, and this skirt still fits.

Melissa Walker said...

Beth, I've been traveling and blog-neglectful this week, but Little Willow gently nudged me here today to read your post (thank you, LW!).

As someone in this world where all that silliness -- the bag, the shoes, the manicure -- counts, I can say that it's all so fleeting. Girls want characters with heart. They may overdose on brand-name books, but those aren't the ones they come back to again and again.

Your characters absolutely sing, and that is so much more precious than glossy lips and designer jeans.

Beth Kephart said...

Little Willow, I swear. Someday I want to meet you in person. Because that's a very impressive story you just told.

And Melissa Walker: You are precious. For those wishing to read books that happen to have fashion in them but are endowed with so much more, you are the one and only choice.

Little Willow said...

You are welcome, Melissa - and thank you, Beth.

readergirlz said...

Little Willow also directed my eyes here. Great post, Beth!

And Emmie, hold onto the gray, I say. You've earned the silver. I keep my gray. Even when they offer me the senior discount at 43 and mistake me for my mother. Grrrr. This is my hair. Deal with it. And if I feel like a little splash of pink, they can deal with that too.

Melissa, you are so right. It's the books with heart that bring the girls back. Onward, ladies!

readergirlz said...

Forgot to sign my post. :~)

~Lorie Ann Grover, rgz diva/author

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP