Self Portrait at Beach, Winter's Morning

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Earlier today I was walking the beach alone. The sky was (at last) blue. The ocean was frisky. The gulls paid me no nevermind. Fervency had replaced the fever of a pent-up winter.

I have been gone just 24 hours and my back isn't aching as much as it had, and I read a book, and I saw the sea, and I did nothing I was supposed to be doing, and it was good.

But two friends—a bookseller, a librarian—had happy news for me upon my return to reality, and I thank them both here. Em for telling me about how The Happy Nappy Bookseller has put in a long-shot Newbery wager for House of Dance. Charlotte for discovering (and then passing on the news) that Chasing Ray has today expressed hope for Nothing but Ghosts in her provocative (and wonderful) scouring of upcoming YA titles. I'm honored to be noticed by both reader-bloggers (and to have the friends that I do).

7 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

You deserve it. You got two awards from me today too :)

Charlotte said...

It's a pleasure! And your beach looks lovely.

PJ Hoover said...

Congratulation on your good news. And how far away is the beach from Philly?

Juiciliciousss Reviews said...

Heyy,
This is Stephanie from Juiciliciousss Reviews. I was just wondering if you were interested in any book reviews or any publicity reviews or anything you would like. My blog is www.juiciliciousssreviews.blogspot.com. I've recently started and have already gotten 150+ hits in about a month or so. If you are interested, please email me at juiciliciousssreviews@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Beth Kephart said...

Lenore, you are a DElight. But you know I feel that way. Charlotte, the beach was exquisite early this morning, and PJ, it took me an hour and a half to drive (with music on, somewhat loudly). Stephanie, absolutely. Bring it on!

Anna Lefler said...

Fantastic. Not surprising to those of us out here, of course, but FANTASTIC.

I can feel your beach through your photograph.

XO

A.

Em said...

Ahh, loud music and lonely car drives. One of my favorite things to do. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP