Eruptive Scenes from a Novel in Progress, and a thank you to The Shelf Elf

Friday, March 20, 2009

We've been talking about outlining, not outlining. Below is a scene from a novel-in-progress that emerged from nowhere, then set a tone.

Before I get to that, though, may I extend enormous gratitude to The Shelf Elf, for her truly dear and generous words about House of Dance. I've been working through the deepest dark of this night (rain outside, a drumming in my head). I found her post by almost accident. I am so grateful.

The agent left us there, outside the locked-door of our graduation house. “To the sea,” Tim said, taking the lead for once, spinning an imaginary umbrella in the spitting-with-winter air. We drew our plastic hoods over our heads and when we got to the beach, we took off our shoes and ran. Ellie got to the water before the rest of us could. She stomped down a wave, and then I joined her, and Robb did, and the waves were freezing—oh God, the whole beach was. When I turned I saw Tim and Kevin in the distance, walking the rusted pipe that stretched parallel to the shore. “All the way to Cape May,” Tim directed, and now we were running toward Tim and Kevin, our shoes in our hands, clambering up the pipe, catching our balance, marching south.

The wind blew the salt into our skin. Robb’s hair rose and fell like it might fly. We walked single file, the rust beneath our feet, until the skies grew dusky and Kevin jumped from the pipe and reached his arms toward me. I leapt high and up and down, and I knew he’d catch me. I knew that he’d hold me, and he did, and then we both turned and saw Ellie still high on the rusted pipe, Ellie alone, and Kevin put me down and reached for her, and now Tim was taking Robb into his arms. Then we all stood just inches from the first froth of waves and tossed clamshells until real darkness fell.

11 comments:

Jinksy said...

My toes are already rusting from the salt water...

Priya said...

This is absolutely fabulous. I completely agree with jinksy.

Sherry said...

It feels like a cold summer afternoon we once spent on the Oregon Coast.

Q said...

I love getting my feet wet in water so cold it hurts, but if I get much more than that I start to get tetchy.

Dr Zibbs said...

Another PA blogger here.

Found your blog through a few links from the comments on my blog.

Shelf Elf said...

Hi Beth - Shelf Elf here (aka Kerry).

I'm so glad you chanced upon my review of House of Dance at just the right moment. Thanks for the kind mention here.

Just as much as you found my words at the right time, I felt like I found your story when I needed it too. Your book helped me slow down and appreciate words put just right.

Thank you for your stories and happy writing!

septembermom said...

So many great lines in this excerpt. As a poet, I especially liked "the wind blew the salt into our skin". There's a texture to the writing that works so well to bring life to the scene. As a reader, you get caught up so quickly in the characters' exploration and excitement to be on that chilly beach. Thank you for sharing this!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is lovely. I got a copy of A Slant of Sun from my sister years ago because she worked at the nursery school your son attended. We both lived in the area and my middle son went to that nursery school for a while. We both really loved your book. Your descriptions of the neighborhood, the train tracks, and your afternoons taking your son for walks in the stroller have stayed with my for years because they resonated so deeply with me. I've read it several times and recommended it to friends.

Somehow I didn't find your other books until recently. Now I have them requested at the library and I am eagerly awaiting them. I've got you on my bloglines now too. Looking forward to enjoying your photography and poetry!

Tessa said...

Beautiful imagery - I could feel the salt-laden wind, hear the hiss of the waves and smell the strong sweet breath of the sea.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, sure.

Make it look easy.

XOXO

A.

Em said...

It's so vivid. I love the ocean...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP