Goodness (again), a Contest Update, and Kudos to Melissa Walker

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Forgive me for being a tad emotional this morning. The last time I posted a world-goes-streaking-past photograph, it was the morning after the evening that we'd left our son at school—a freshman at a college hours away, a young man on the verge.

Yesterday, downpours and client pressures couldn't keep us away from that guy. His finals were done, and his room was in order; freshman year is done. Our son comes home with broader shoulders, boundless stories, and a multitude of friends—engaging, truly beautiful young people who were chanting his nickname as they made the trek to say goodbye while we boxed things up, Windexed the mirrors, and ran an old vacuum cleaner over nubby, well-worn rugs.

In my absence, goodness happened. The kindness of Little Willow, Holly Cupala, Readergirlz, Alea, Jen Robinson, and others, who made it a point to spread the word about the Undercover poetry contest. Meanwhile, the uber-kind Ed Goldberg, of the fabulous Young Adults (& Kids) Books Central, posted a glorious review; I thank him, deeply, for taking an interest in these books that I write.

For those of you interested in the Undercover contest, you'll see that I have now posted the official judge of the competition: Jill Santopolo. I have worked with Jill at HarperTeen since my earliest introduction there; together with Laura Geringer, Jill shepherded Undercover, House of Dance, and Nothing but Ghosts to their respective finish lines. Jill then took on The Heart is not a Size, due out next March, in Laura's absence, and as an author herself, Jill absolutely knows books and words. I can't wait to share your work with her.

Today my dear friend Melissa Walker celebrates the debut of Lovestruck Summer. She's a force and a presence in this blog world; I've learned a lot from her kick, her poise, her smarts. Congratulations, Melissa, on your fourth book. We (and the spring's entire bounty of daffodils) are cheering you on. (And I can't wait to read it.)

9 comments:

Sherrie Petersen said...

You have such a knack for finding the good in things. And it sounds like the good is coming back to you as well :^)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Melissa. And I'm so glad for all the support you got in the undercover poetry contest. As for your son in college--omg Beth, I had no idea you had a college age son. I thought you were pre-kids! LOL. But then I am an old mom. Everyone feels young to me.

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... wonderful things happening! So great to hear!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Yay for Melissa's new book!

I am so happy your son is home and goodness is happening around you.

Sherry said...

Love all the good news.
Yay for your son's Freshman year finish!

Woman in a Window said...

A son recaptured! Ah!
and what's this about a poetry contest? Must read on.

Becca said...

How lovely, we both have our boys at home :)

Em said...

Yay for you! And yay for summer. Makes me want to go back and get another degree. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP