The Heart is Not a Size

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Next March, my fourth YA novel will be released by HarperTeen. The Heart is not a Size was inspired by a trip that I took, along with my husband, son, and two dozen others, to a Juarez squatters' village called Anapra. It features a girl named Georgia (who just happens to be an anxiety-prone photographer) and her best friend, Riley. It asks the question, What difference can one person make?, while plumbing buried, dangerous secrets.

Today the cover for Heart was approved. I thank Jill Santopolo and Carla Weise for seeing it through, and I share it with you here. I share as well this small excerpt:

What I remember now is the bunch of them running: From the tins, which were their houses. Up the white streets, which were the color of bone. All the way to the top of Anapra, to where we were standing in our second-hand scrubs, and where Riley said, “They might as well be flowers, blown right off their stalks,” and Sophie said, “This is so completely wild,” and The Third said nothing at all. The Third: He wasn’t talking yet. He was all size and silence.

“I should tell Mack,” I said, but I didn’t budge, didn’t even turn and glance back toward where Mack and the others were digging in, hanging tarp, toting two-by-fours from one angle of sun fizzle to another. Because the kids of Anapara might have been chunks of blown-off petals, like Riley said, but they mostly looked like wings to me, flying and flying in their bright, defying best, their yellow cotton shirts, red fringy skirts, blue trousers. They looked like something no one should lose to a single instant of forgetting.

It was only our second day.

We’d pinned everything on nothing.

15 comments:

Becca said...

Another one I can't wait to read. I have all of your books on order and they'll all be arriving at once, as soon as the new ones are released. What a gladsome day that will be! (If I can possibly wait that long :)

Emily Ruth said...

congrats on the beautiful cover!

and obviously, I can't wait for it either :)

Priya said...

I LOVE the cover! It's so bright and pretty! I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Omigosh, what a beautiful cover! You must love your editor because you always get great covers :-)

Melissa Walker said...

I love the warmth of the cover, Beth. Can't wait to read another of your gorgeous books.

Lenore Appelhans said...

This is amazing news! YAY!

Maya Ganesan said...

What a gorgeous cover, Beth. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Liviania said...

That last sentence is a wham sentence.

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... how exciting ... the cover is beautiful! Very eye-catching! Loved your interview with Sherrie ... so uplifting and encouraging!

A Cuban In London said...

The cover is a beauty. I love those auburn and orange colours and how they blend with each other. And obviously, the excerpt made my mouth water. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Vivian Mahoney said...

The colors are stunning, Beth. Looking forward to another wonderful book. Congrats!

Woman in a Window said...

Wow, Beth, I had no idea you were this prolific. And the book, the exert, the cover, sounds/looks amazing. wow.

Anna Lefler said...

I'm already pulled in by your excerpt, but no surprise there... :^)

Your cover is a grabber, too. It will leap off the shelves, no doubt.

Congratulations, Beth - I can't wait to read it!

XO

Anna

Tessa said...

How very, very beautiful. Beth, you are surely a magician?

This I will remember always:

"...but they mostly looked like wings to me, flying and flying in their bright, defying best, their yellow cotton shirts, red fringy skirts, blue trousers. They looked like something no one should lose to a single instant of forgetting."

Oh, hurry up March next year!

Em said...

I love the cover! I had to look at it a few times to realize that I always make the heart the other way (with my thumbs as the teardrop part). Am I weird? :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP