Zebra in the Garden

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Working with a macro lens is like looking at life through a microscope—seeing what you would not see were you just passing through. So that yesterday, between rain bursts, I could be found crouching in my garden or braced above a vase of flowers, dialing in and out of temporal focus. I was catching the reflected crossbars on a puddled stamen and discovering the zebra stripes of iris. I was thinking how razor edged the lily is, how much like a skirt a blur of hydrangea seems, as photographed from above.

I brace myself for the macro lens. I balance against a wall, try not to breathe, snap. It's rare when a photograph works just right. No matter what gets MemorySticked in the end, I've had the privilege of seeing.

5 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Yes, Beth, I like that, the privilege of seeing. And it is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That's one of the things I love about taking pictures: the seeing. More so with drawing. Even though I'm not an artist (with pencil), drawing makes me look more deeply, notice more.

Becca said...

I've just started playing with a camera, and you're so right about the way looking through a lens allows you to see things in different detail.

This is a marvelous photo -on first glance, I thought it was a butterfly :)

A Cuban In London said...

And the result was amazing, as usual. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP