This is Me (and the books I should be reading)

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The books are stacking taller and taller about my tiny house—beckoning, desired, and unread. No One You Know (Michelle Richmond), which I won from Presenting Lenore, who lists it as a favorite book. Halfway House (Katharine Noel) and Home Schooling (Carol Windley)—gifts from a certain editor at Grove. John the Baptizer, by Brooks Hansen, a long-time friend and an Alane Mason author, Alane being my first editor. The Language of Things (Deyan Sudjic), also an Alane book, and The Little Strangers (Sarah Waters), because I adored Waters' The Night Watch and because I trust the independent film producer who suggested that I add Strangers to my list. The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery), because everyone is talking about it. Brooklyn (Colm Toibin) and Let the Great World Spin (Colum McCann), because they are books by two of my favorite living writers.

I have been out, I have been dancing, I have been taking photographs, I have been Body Pumping and Zumba-ing and walking the streets of Philadelphia and running this business of mine. I have not been reading, and I have barely been writing, and I've gotten that ache in my bones.

It is 6:40 AM, a Sunday.

Today I read.

15 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

First off, what can not be denied, your legs are freaken gorgeous! There. Out of the way.

What you fit into your days pales mine. I am stunned. I know, I say this often. I am stunned by what you get accomplished.

Alea said...

I love seeing a picture of you taking a picture, I don't know why but it gives me the chills! Enjoy your reading time, I found myself a bit of extra reading time this week and it was wonderful!

Ed Goldberg said...

Is it true...you need reading time otherwise you feel deprived. My favorite place to read is under a tree on a nice sunny day with a breeze filtering through the leavings and the birds chirping and the bunnies chomping on blades of grass. So, find your favorite place and enjoy.

Becca said...

What a fabulous photo - love the composition, and you look gorgeous :)

I wish you a peaceful day of reading. From one who knows the craziness of "patchwork days" (as you decribed yours recently), I know only too well the longing for some quiet time to just be.

May you have that today.

Tessa said...

Oh, look at that lovely dancer - perfectly perfect! You should be on the cover of Vogue...or one of your books. Or both!

Read, dance, sing, arrange flowers, breathe in the soft air of dawn, Beth -- only then will you feel refreshed and at peace, right? I know I do, when I do those special things.

Holly said...

I shoo your shoulds (not to disagree on the necessity of reading).

Mirror self-portraits make me happy.

ds said...

Hello! I am here thanks to Becca and her wonderful description of your luminous writing, and your new book's "delicate, intricate passion." Reading your blog, I can tell that she is exactly right. I look forward to the bloggy launch party, and to finding--and reading-- Nothing But Ghosts I'd ask you how you manage to get everything done, but I think I know: You. Just. Do. Best to you!

Oh--I liked Waters's The Night Watch and am a big fan of Mr. Toibin's too.

Maggie said...

I think there is a direct correlation between a tantalizing stack of unread books and my inability to sleep. My totally unscientific theory is that my middle-of-the-night sleeplessness increases when I know I have delicious books to enjoy. This morning at 4:28 a.m. I finished Nothing But Ghosts. Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you today. An email came through my list-serve that the biggest book chain in Canada has noticed a 200% increase in booksales to teens. Keep at it Beth!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Read, my friend. Beautiful photograph!

Anna Lefler said...

I love that photo of you!

And enjoy your luxurious day of reading...

XO

Anna

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
grete said...

Hi gorgeous you - seems dance not only improves your social skills (“...I love dance more for the friendships it has yielded, for the conversations...”) but also your figure....

OR is it the other way around, that you have chosen dance because your body is so well built for it...

Two different angles, as with everything in life.

So also with books - are the stacks and stacks of unread books a burden of bad conscience OR are they a pile of surprises to look forward to?

Just ordered Nothing But Ghosts. It will arrive between August 17 - 27. So, I can look at this two ways.
1) WHAT???? TWO MONTHS??? Is this really 2009?
2) How lucky I am to have found Beth Kephart and her books....How lucky I am to have found Amazon. How lucky I am to own a credit card.....

grete said...

ps. I live in Norway. Perhaps Amazon is taking the climate challenge seriously, and ship their books by sail.....

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP