Horace Kephart in Words and Pictures (America's Best Idea)

Monday, September 28, 2009

The image above is drawn from the new Ken Burns film, "America's Best Idea," and introduces the words and images of my great-grandfather, Horace Kephart, who (as I've said previously here and elsewhere, forgive me) played a pivotal role in the creation of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Those of you who might interested in reviewing a brief segment from the film can go here, to the WHYY web site. I never heard my great-grandfather's voice, obviously. It is fascinating to hear it rendered by this voice actor and to see photographs that I have long had in my own personal trove revealed to the wider world.

Thanks to Libby, for sending along the link.

7 comments:

Tessa said...

Fascinating, Beth, how wonderful!

Congrats on being nominated for Best Book Blog...you'll definitely get my vote.

Thanks so much for stopping by my place and your lovely comments about our potential new home. And, yes, that is a windmill...still quite a number of those in Norfolk.

Now I must go play catch-up with your latest posts. Sending flurries of love. xx

Beth F said...

Can't wait to see this series!

Anonymous said...

How cool.

Vivian Mahoney said...

It must be quite something to be part of an incredible legacy. Your great-grandfather helped create something millions of people have enjoyed over the years. I look forward to seeing this.

lib said...

Beth, Ken Burns has produced a film rich in history integrating beautifully the lives of people who were instrumental in preserving these sacred areas called National Parks. He so respectfully tells the story of Horace Kephart. Our great-grandfather was a complex man who helped found a most beautiful land. It's a legacy we all must be proud of....and we are!

Kelly H-Y said...

I heard about this film a couple days ago ... I can't wait to see it. And, how wonderful that you have such an amazing personal connection to it via your great-grandfather.

Sherry said...

Celebrating your great-grandfather! I just now caught up on your posts (including last December's) and the link with the film segment. I will watch this series one day. What a gift this tribute is to his memory. And what a gift, also, to know more of the ingredients which make up the recipe of wonderful you.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP