What a Girl Wants: Because we are not all rich girls

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In question number seven of her fantastic series, What a Girl Wants, Colleen Mondor asked us to reflect on whether historic MG and YA fiction addresses socioeconomic status more effectively than contemporary titles, and whether or not readers need to read about people who are experiencing their same financial struggles, or prefer to live vicariously inside socioeconomic fantasies. As always, I had to think long and hard about this one. Check out what Jenny Davidison, Zetta Elliott, Melissa Wyatt, Laurel Snyder, Sara Ryan, Loree Griffin Burns, Kekla Magoon, Mayra Lazara Dole, and I had to say about the topic. As always, I wish that I could be in a room with these bright lights, talking the issue out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think what people prefer isn't really the way to look at this. The best writers have written what they are passionate about and social justice is one of those passions.

Beth F said...

I like a little of both. My niece (14 years old) says she likes to read about all sorts of people and families: richer and poorer and just the same as she is.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP