I Emerge

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I emerged from the long dream that is the writing of a novel with a desire for freshly cut flowers. I brought them home. I cleaned the house and threw a tea party for friends. I sat with the accumulated papers, the magazines, and read. I ordered books, embraced their arrival. I said yes to a new opportunity and plunged in, heart first. I said yes to another opportunity, despite the fact (because of the fact?) that it will take me, on many days, to a city that is not my own.

And I said, No, I will not be used anymore as I have too often allowed myself to be used. I will say what I am thinking, without apology. I will not pretend, because pretending isn't honest. I will gather close to those whose motivations I understand, whose hearts I trust, whose interests stretch beyond their own selves, whose capacities are bridged and bolstered by acts of tenderness.

I wrote a novel, and then I emerged. I am older than I was. It is easier to do right in the world when you know what you want from yourself.

8 comments:

LisaSam said...

Wow. Terrific post. I gave up prentending a while back. It is liberating to live in harmony. Congrats on the novel. I just read Nothing but Ghosts. I enjoyed it. Some lines I found myself reading over and over again.
There's a documentary on tonight on POV on PBS called The Way We Get By. Have you heard of it? It seems similar in theme to Young at Heart and since you recommended that to your readers (and me) I thought you might want to check it out.
Lisa

Sherrie Petersen said...

Oh, I love that last line. Perfect!

bermudaonion said...

Very well said. I think women often struggle with balancing what they want and serving the needs of others.

Priya said...

Beth, I just finished Heart. It was so so wonderful and lovely and I couldn't put it down until the end. Just wanted to let you know :)I'll probably post up a review soon.

woman who roars said...

Sounds like a liberating timefor you!

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Kelly H-Y said...

Truly ... your writing and thoughts are just so amazing ... so eloquent and beautiful!

Ravenous Reader said...

Knowing what you want from yourself is indeed key. I have a hard time balancing what I want for myself, and what others must have from me.

I'm glad you're focusing on what you need right now :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP