Take a Walk with Me

Friday, January 15, 2010

The phone rings, the stories roll in and out, the proposals ping and pong, and my son comes into my office, late.

"Hey, Mom," he says. "You know how you were asking me what one last thing I'd want to do before I leave for school?"

"Yes?" I say.

"I figured it out."

"Okay, shoot." Atlantic City, I start thinking. A day-trip into Philly. A dinner at Tango. I'll move the mountains of this schedule to make room for any of those, for he returns to school on Sunday, when my heart will break again.

"I want to take a walk with you. That's what I want. It's like, one of my favorite things to do."

I look at him, study him hard. Where does he come from, this good, so decent soul?

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm sure that was a walk to savor.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful.

tera said...

Aw. It's stuff like that that makes me wish I had kids. ...at least until I see one throw a temper tantrum at the grocery store! :)

Julie P. said...

He comes from his mother! Sounds like he's a wonderful child!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, oh, oh ... my heart! What a son you have raised. I hope my son feels the same way when he is that age. You have done well.

Q said...

He comes from you, dear. You're just that sweet, just that precious, with just those simple desires. I can see it in every word you write.

Becca said...

Oh, be still my heart. What a request :)

Holly said...

You make me laugh! From YOU, of course!

Unknown said...

There's a saying about an apple and a tree that I think applies here. :)

Amy said...

How beautiful for you Beth.

kristen spina said...

This made me cry. Happy cry.

Book Dragon said...

~sniffle~ that's so sweet!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP