Joining the long list of the many things I am really bad at

Wednesday, September 29, 2010


is standing in as myself at a photo shoot.  I don't know how it is done.  I don't know how anyone stares placidly into the glass eye of the lens, or away from it, chin a-tilt.  Even when the chosen photographer is outstanding, as surely Chris Crisman, today's poor victim, is, I cannot be me in front of a camera, cannot give up the self-conscious glint, cannot stop imagining all the ways I'd rearrange the proportions of my face.  I cannot, most of all, stop imagining being him, the poor photographer, who took on this noble trade to do far more, I'm sure, than photograph an author who spends most of her time alone at her desk, or at a gym or studio, sweating.  I'm either boringly still or impossibly active.  I am not what pictures are made of.

Still, as with all difficult things, there is a lining.  That lining lies, for me, in getting to watch this remarkable photographer at work.  His portfolio speaks volumes.

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I looked at his portfolio and his photos are stunning! I can't wait to see the shots he took of you.

KFP said...

P.S. I suspect your photo will be beautiful.

Sherry said...

Wow, you had a photo shoot with this guy? I cannot wait to see the outcome!

Anna Lefler said...

Girl, why do you think I wear the mustache? You are not alone!

I'm highly suspicious of anyone who enjoys getting their picture taken, btw. I think I'd rather give blood.

That being said, I'm sure you look gorgeous but are being your charming, modest self.

Work it!

XO

A.

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, his portfolio is AMAZING. Regina Spektor! Ahhhh all so good. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. :)

Anonymous said...

I have an awful time as well in photos. I'm curious to see how this works out.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP