The UNDERCOVER letters from Zionsville Middle School, Part 3

Monday, April 25, 2011

In my continuing series featuring the marvelous, heart-expanding sixth-grade students of Miss Rachel Bing's Zionsville, IN, class, I share with you now the next several letters.  See Part 1 and Part 2 for background on this exceptional teacher and her students.  Know this as you read:  Rachel is but a high school senior. She reads books like UNDERCOVER (my first young adult novel) out loud to her students, then has them, in her words, "play charades with emotions because they will soon be writing their creative stories and they need to know how to be descriptive."

The next several letters, then—candid and exhilarating:

From Jordan:

In class we have a cadet teacher named Miss Bing. She is thinking about becoming a teacher someday and she would want to teach Literature/English. Our teacher Mrs. Plantan gave her permission to read us a book. She chose your book, Undercover. At first no one was excited, because the book didn’t sound interesting. Then that day when she started to read it we all got so into it and especially the drama and poetry. Just recently we finished the book. Everyone is so curious at what would have happened after the ice skating championship. I would think that she would go to find Theo standing there no longer dating Lila, because he finally realized that cruelty is its own kind of hideous. I would hope that Elisa and Theo would get together and create their own happily ever after. I thought that because everyone loves and wishes for a happy ending. That is just what I would want to happen, but my question for you is what would you include in it if you were to write a sequel or follow-up to Undercover? Also since Undercover had such great description and detail it is easy to visualize. My class and I wanted it to become a movie, because we think it would be a great one. Have you ever thought about talking to a movie director and turning it into screenplay? 

You described all of your characters with much detail and personalities of their own. Did you base any of your characters off of you? If not, out of your characters which character reminds you most of you? I remind myself most of Jilly because she is girly, creative, and she loves clothes. Another thing that I loved about the book was all of the similes and metaphors in the book. It made it more interesting. When you heard a couple in a row it made you look up and listen that much harder. Your book for me was one of the best books I have ever heard, because of the amount of passion and creativity put into it. I loved how in the first part it was mainly about the honors English and the secret love letters. Then Part II was more about the drama with Theo and Lila and then Elisa secretly having a huge crush on Theo. I overall loved the book. I am very glad that Miss Bing picked your book, Undercover to read to our class. I am also going to look at some of your other books.

From another Jordan:

Hi, my name is Jordan and I love reading. When I found out that we were going to read one of your books I was really excited. I have some beginning questions for you. What inspires an author to write a book? How does your life relate to any of the characters in your book Undercover? Who is your favorite character in your famous book Undercover? This is what I want to know from an incredible author just like you.
You write amazing books and in our classroom Miss Bing, our cadet teacher chose your book for her to read to us every day in Literature class. Undercover in Part 1 was more about Elisa's writing and all of her love letters that she has written for other people to give to their crushes. Then the second part was more about Elisa trying to bring her family back together and she did at the very end of the book by ice skating. It made you think beyond the book in the ending. I love how Elisa had so much passion for the marble girl and ice skating. Also, each of the characters had their own different personalities, like how Elisa would always go to the pond. The relationship between everybody in the book is amazing. I was wondering if there was any relation to you and Elisa or really any of the characters in this book.

From Joseph:
Theo was like a wave in the beach, repeating to hit the black rocks on the sea shore. When the wave pulls back he is choosing between Lila and Elisa.  Your writing kept me on my toes, wondering what would happen next. I am like Theo, except, I can’t find the perfect friend until the end of the year when I have to leave and almost never see them again except for when I come back to school.
My class and I all believe that this amazing book deserves to be a virtual picture and be placed in the minds of all people that know “cruelness is its own brand of hideousness” and that you can stand up to the popular one in the school and that nothing is in your way and you can chase anything. Elisa isn’t average; she has to chase what she wants. Lila has everything going for her no matter what Elisa does except when Elisa is undercover. This book let me understand that whenever I chase for my dream of writing music I can do it as long as I don't stop running.


I really loved Undercover and I think my class did too. I hope that you will write many more books and please make it into a movie.  

From Julia:
I really enjoyed your book Undercover. I thought it was a very inspirational book. The poetry in part one of the book taught me to love poetry more and to learn it is not as boring as it seems. My life kind of did relate to the book, but I was more connected to some of the characters. I was most connected to Jilly because I always put on lip gloss, make sure my hair is perfect, and I love fashion magazines. This book was very inspirational and my whole class kept begging for Ms. Bing to read another chapter. I liked how Part 1 was more of where it was poetry and she was totally undercover. The Part 2 was more about her family and she was more revealed to the people around her. This book was funny and brought our class more together in discussions and opinions. I thought this was a great book to read and I thought it was a good book for kids to understand poetry and a day in the life of someone without a father and their struggles. Thank you for making such a good book.
 From Kate:

My name is Kate and I am in sixth grade at Zionsville Middle School. My cadet teacher, Miss Bing has been reading our class your book, Undercover. We really enjoyed it and our cadet teacher is very nice. I personally liked the part at the end where Elisa is competing at the ice skating rink. I like how Elisa's ice skating brought her family back together. The only part I thought was a little weird was when Theo and Elisa almost kissed (I am glad they didn't).

I was wondering what the end meant because I assume that her family got back together and I hope Elisa's dad is there to stay, too. I don't know what will happen with Elisa, Theo, and Lila. Every time the story turned back towards Elisa and Theo I was afraid they were going to kiss. I am a tomboy and I am disgusted by thought of people kissing. Other than that, I thought Undercover was interesting. Although, I was worried that another “nasty” moment would come up again between Elisa and Theo. I compare to Elisa because I like nature and the outdoors. I also like to ice skate along with my family. I would never want my dad to be gone that long like Elisa's dad was. I have a really close relationship with my dad like Elisa does and I wouldn’t want my mom and dad to separate for a while either.

This book really inspired me to be a better artist just like Elisa became and even better poet. I think your book is amazing and I cannot believe that I am able to write to you. You are a great model for my class and me. You showed us how important it is to love your family and not let it tear you apart.

From Lindsey:

My name is Kate and I am in sixth grade at Zionsville Middle School. My cadet teacher, Miss Bing has been reading our class your book, Undercover. We really enjoyed it and our cadet teacher is very nice. I personally liked the part at the end where Elisa is competing at the ice skating rink. I like how Elisa's ice skating brought her family back together. The only part I thought was a little weird was when Theo and Elisa almost kissed (I am glad they didn't).

I was wondering what the end meant because I assume that her family got back together and I hope Elisa's dad is there to stay, too. I don't know what will happen with Elisa, Theo, and Lila. Every time the story turned back towards Elisa and Theo I was afraid they were going to kiss. I am a tomboy and I am disgusted by thought of people kissing. Other than that, I thought Undercover was interesting. Although, I was worried that another “nasty” moment would come up again between Elisa and Theo. I compare to Elisa because I like nature and the outdoors. I also like to ice skate along with my family. I would never want my dad to be gone that long like Elisa's dad was. I have a really close relationship with my dad like Elisa does and I wouldn’t want my mom and dad to separate for a while either.

This book really inspired me to be a better artist just like Elisa became and even better poet. I think your book is amazing and I cannot believe that I am able to write to you. You are a great model for my class and me. You showed us how important it is to love your family and not let it tear you apart.


1 comments:

maddy said...

I will totally have to bookmark this to copy.

Letters

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP