You Are My Only: The Very First Review

Saturday, April 30, 2011

I received flowers yesterday (thank you, Trevor, Wendy, Amy, and the Central Writing League), and oh, how they were needed.  I'm going to see Billy Elliot tomorrow (thank you, Jeff) and (an extra bonus) Lawsy—needed, deeply:  true.  And just now, having come in from uprooting the truant weeds in my beleaguered garden, I found this gift right here.  The first review of You Are My Only (five stars!) sent along by YA Books Central's own Ed Goldberg.

I quote from the final paragraph.  The rest will be posted closer to release date (October) on the YA Books Central site. But as an author eager to hear how this book will be received, reading and being able to share this now (right now) means the world:

In some books, it’s the story that captures you and in some, it’s the characters.  In You Are My Only, it is that rare combination of story and character.  Kephart has created two (almost) separate but equal stories, both intriguing and engrossing.  In addition, she has created the perfect characters.  I defy anyone not to fall in love with Sophie, Joey and Aunts Cloris and Helen or Emmy and Autumn and even Harvey, the dog.  I defy anyone not to hate (maybe intensely dislike) Sophie’s mother or Peter.  As always, Kephart chooses her words with care, and while the language is not as ‘ethereal’ as in some of her recent books, her images and descriptions and wording remain essential in understanding the characters and surroundings.  There are secrets that need to be unearthed and things to ponder.  There are relationships that you are jealous you are not a part of and those you are glad you have not experienced.  You can read You Are My Only quickly and enjoy the story or you can read it slowly and savor every word and nuance and description.  Either way, you must read Beth Kephart’s latest addition to Young Adult literature, You Are My Only.  More than likely, after you’ve read it once, you’ll go back and read it again.  I know I will.

4 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

Terrific! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, yay! I'm so happy for you!

I am so looking forward to this read...

Cheers to you!

XO

A.

Erin said...

Thanks, Ed. I await eagerly, as well.
Congratulations, Beth!

Sherry said...

I was signed in to Erin's account. Oops.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP