Small Damages, Ruta Sepetys, and a birthday surprise

Saturday, October 22, 2011

This morning I did one of those things I try not to do—traveled over to the Amazon page to see if the cover for Small Damages, my summer 2012 novel, has been posted.  It has not, but a separate piece of news was there, something I had not known.  Small Damages, the book that took nearly a decade of my life, was inspired by my travels to Seville, and will be published by one of the most extraordinary houses anywhere, Philomel, is set to come out on my son's birthday.  (For more on the incredible Philomel, go here.)  That is no mere coincidence.  That is perfection.  My son has been with me through every one of the dozens of drafts and, indeed, the book is dedicated to him.

And so I wait to share the remarkable cover with you.  Believe me, it is worth waiting for.  Tamra Tuller, my editor, and her team worked for literally months to produce something that is just so infinitely right that it staggers me.  In classic Tamra style, she also took the time to share the book with her authors Kathryn Erskine (Mockingbird, The Absolute Value of Mike) and Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Gray).  I had shared Kathryn's words on this blog earlier, along with the treasured words of Rita Williams-Garcia (One Crazy Summer).  

This morning I share Ruta's enormous generosity:
Stunning.  Kephart's lyrical prose lingers with you long after the final page.  I simply didn't want it to end.

3 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I saw the cover in the Frankfurt rights catalog - and you're right, it's stunning! Can't wait for you to be able to share widely.

Beth Kephart said...

Lenore! I didn't know it was in there. Thank you for sharing that and for saying this. You know how glorious it is, then!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful comment and beautiful cover.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP