why not be kind?

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I sat in church remembering my friend Mike Yasick. I thought about the thousands of people searching for one last conversation with him, for a moment with him, for a chance to say goodbye. Thousands of people because Mike was that kind of guy. He brought sun into a room. He demonstrated, repeatedly, why it is far more rewarding, in this life, to be a force of good. Negativity is all sharp edges. Unprovoked cruelty solves no problems. Unkindness is unkarma. Why throw spears when there's a bowl of chocolate near? Why not slice the thorns off roses? Why not laugh? Why not make somebody happy?

Are you superb?

As I sat there thinking about Mike, Miyuki Hoshimoto, a gorgeous soprano, sang "Agnus Dei." I watched her, but mostly I watched the other members of the choir, their faces tilted at angles, their heads rising and lowering with the notes. That, I thought, is what unburdened generosity looks like. It is the shape of appreciation, when envy will not float. There was the beauty of the song; there was the beauty of those who listened.

It was a necessary appeasement on a day when so many mourn the loss of a significant good.

8 comments:

Katrina said...

Beautiful Beth. Why not be kind, indeed?

Blessings on your bittersweet Sunday my dear friend.

Melissa Sarno said...

So beautifully said. And you have reminded me of one of my most favorite book memories, Paloma listening to the choir in The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I'm very sorry about your friend.

The1stdaughter said...

Oh Beth I've asked this question so many times. But if anyone I know exudes that kindness it would be you. You've been a beautiful example of this to me and I've always appreciated it.

Sending you my love and lots of hugs during your time of loss. xoxo

K. M. Walton said...

I am so sorry for your heavy heart.

And, Beth, you exude kindness everywhere you go.

patti.mallett_pp said...

Thank you, Beth, for bringing us in to share your, and the world's, loss.

Misty for you, for all, for what some people are and others are not....

Unknown said...

To those of us who worked alongside this force of nature…I say we were truly blessed.
Hugs,
Barbara Porreca-Knecht

Unknown said...

To those of us who worked alongside this force of nature…I say we were truly blessed.
Hugs,
Barbara Porreca-Knecht

Faye Morris said...

So very true!
These words of yours Beth I'll carry with me...
Negativity is all sharp edges. Unprovoked cruelty solves no problems. Unkindness is unkarma. Why throw spears when there's a bowl of chocolate near? Why not slice the thorns off roses? Why not laugh? Why not make somebody happy?

Are you superb?

Thanks again
Fx

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP