be who you are (avoid mediocrity)

Thursday, June 11, 2015

On a rainy Saturday morning in Krakow, we found the artists. I found her.

I recognized her in an instant—this big-hoping, bird-cradling, barely-standing creature in a field of poppies. She ponders. She wishes. She is, for now, alone. It's an image that contains every claim you might make against my writing. And every claim you might make for it.

We have, as writers, the voices we were born with. We cannot authentically become someone else's idea of who we should be, of what the market might bear, and besides, this purported market shifts and tumbles, misdirects, is responsible for far more mediocrity than excellence.

Be who you are.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this image! Is it something you drew?

Beth Kephart said...

Kelly, oh no. I cannot draw. This is a Krakow artist, whose name I am searching for.

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh! Look at her! I love her. And you. Thank you for this reminder.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

This is the best advice I've heard in a long time. Thanks, Beth, for both this image and your inspiring words.

Anonymous said...

I love this and what you wrote. I need it printed on my writing desk.

Melanie Stanford said...

A big huge LIKE to this. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP