My earliest public words about and for Philadelphia

Sunday, July 26, 2015


Long before I was writing essays for the Inquirer or novels enriched by my city I was a 25-year-old marketing coordinator for Cope Linder Associates, a Philadelphia architecture firm. I got the job in part because of my great uncle's role in the creation of the Waldorf Astoria, the Pierre Hotel, and dozens of other major buildings (I had a degree in history from Penn, but I could talk architecture in interviews). I stayed with the company not just because of the friends I met along the way (one friend became my husband), but also because of the opportunities I was given. Organize the photo library. Write proposals. Research potential clients.

And go in and out of libraries on behalf of projects like Penn's Landing. I found the Philly firsts that are inscribed along the plaza. I collected the art and wrote some of the captions for the placards. It felt like a big deal then, and today, returning to the old plaza by the Delaware River with that very same husband I felt a surge of Philly pride.

I may be so much older.

I still love the same things (and man).

1 comments:

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

You found those firsts? That's so cool. I read them every time I walk up that walkway.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP