Narrative Collage

Thursday, February 28, 2008


I head to Penn today to sit in on a class taught by the very brilliant teacher and writer Karen Rile, and to talk with the students about FLOW: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF PHILADELPHIA'S SCHUYLKILL RIVER. Karen has positioned FLOW within a course section titled Narrative Collage, and it is from Karen that I borrow this rather exquisite definition: "Narrative collage is a compilation of small, independent pieces in which the movement between sections is abrupt and apparently transitionless. While there is no linear plot, there may be dozens of plotlets. The repetition of images builds symbols and motifs. Although a collage is comprised of small narratives, its cumulative effect is more a thesis or emotional statement than a traditional story. Narrative collage is used by writers of both fiction and nonfiction."

FLOW is a river's story, told in gasps, exclamations, declarations. It is an unfurling, in which the thru-line is not plot but shifts in mood and desire, shifts in time. The making of FLOW was a liberation, a turning point in a career that had been drenched in the personal pronoun; with FLOW I discovered how rather thrilling it could be to use the "I" to speak of the not me.

I look forward to Karen's class; I always do. To the questions she and her students will ask about a book I'm still, even all these months later, trying to define for myself.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Beth! I'm so looking forward to this!

poetjanes said...

As you know, Beth, I used FLOW in a class last fall and my students still refer to it as an exquisite example of narrative collage. Still cite its lessons (they're smart seniors who want with each breath to write their way into the world).

The book has so much to teach writers--young and old--about the beautiful immersions of history and how research liberates lost truths.

I'd highly recommend it as a course text! And I'm intrigued by Karen's course. What an interesting relation you have with Penn. I hope someone will find a form to document the interchange you had with your student collaborator and your work visiting classes!

Melissa Walker said...

I do hope you enjoy your day!

And, I hope you'll forgive me for "tagging" you like this, but you are a fascinating person, and I'd love to know more, so...

I’ve tagged you for a meme on my latest blog. Here are the rules:

1/ you link back to the person who tagged you.
2/ post these rules on your blog.
3/ share six unimportant things about yourself.
4/ tag six random people at the end of your entry.
5/ let the tagged people know by leaving a comment on their blogs.

Beth Kephart said...

Karen and Jane—

It would be a pretty amazing thing to see you both in the same classroom, teaching together. You reach such different books but often come to the same conclusions. And you are both hugely generous souls.

b

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP