The Sign is the Story

Thursday, February 21, 2008


And so it seemed to me, when I came upon this sign a few days ago, that an entire novel might be written about this pouch (what sort of pouch? where was it last seen?), about this family (with roots tracing back to what? to whom? with a preference for diamonds? for sterling?), about this loss (rendered as heartache? as legacy?). That the questions are where the story begins, and that this story does not as yet have its ending.

May the pouch be found. May the story gain its hero.

5 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

Isn't it wonderful when a phrase, or a photo, or a sign, or someone's offhand gesture, can inspire a back story, a novel, a lifetime of tales?

This one is a good one!

Beth Kephart said...

Melissa,

I think such sparks have happened for me in most books I've undertaken—some small gesture or phrasing sets loose an entire story in my head.

But the best part of the writing, it seems to me, is finding all the elements along the way that you never anticipated, that you couldn't see coming.

Writing, in that way, is so real life.

b

Em said...

I had this happen to me in a Waffle House. It wasn't a sign, but rather the waitress. I just loved her accent, her mannerisms, and the way she kept calling everyone "sugah" and "honey". If I was a writer, I would have made it into a short story. Maybe one day. :)

Beth Kephart said...

Which brings me, Em, to the question:

When WILL we see your first novel...

:)

Eager for it!

b

Em said...

Well, I actually did buy a laptop recently with the intent to start writing again. It's been years since I wrote even a short story so I imagine it will take me awhile to get back in the swing of things. Right now I'm content reading everyone else's novels. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP