Betty Boop, Jill Santopolo, Phoenixville, and the (famous) Melissa Walker Blog

Monday, September 8, 2008

Yesterday, post storm, the air shimmered, and Bill and I set off for Phoenixville, a former steel mecca that fell on hard times and has lately begun the long process of dusting itself off—fitting out old thick-walled buildings and cute Victorian structures with book stores and urban barber shops and trendy restaurants. It's the same town that Alice Sebold chose to skewer (along with human nature in general) in Almost Moon (she chose to see its ugliness; many of us prefer the sunny side).

The point is, Bill and I walked along in the shimmer and stopped at the windows and then we came to Betty Boop, who goes back with me a long, long time. My dancing maternal grandmother called me this (she also called me Rosie, hence the protagonist's name in House of Dance) and whenever I see Betty, I think of her. I have Betty Boop Christmas ornaments and Betty Boop cards and a little Betty Boop light-up, laser-into-glass replica, sent to me by my dear friend, Andree (you might have met Andree in my second book, Into the Tangle of Friendship).

Seeing Betty made me happy yesterday. Being in the shimmer always does. And when I woke this morning, I was in that happy mood all over again.

Which just got even happier, because the amazingly talented, perpetually generous Melissa Walker just posted the cover story that I wrote for her blog. This story talks about the genesis of the Undercover cover (what it might have been, where it might have gone), and a little bit about the genesis of Undercover itself.

http://www.melissacwalker.com/blog/2008/09/cover_stories_undercover_by_be.html

The story also mentions Laura Geringer, the editor who invited me to start writing young adult books in the first place and set me off in this new and unfathomably fulfilling direction. Sadly, Laura left Harper just three days after I finished the all-day, all-night-for-days-and-weeks marathon that yielded the second draft of my fourth YA novel, The Heart is not a Size. I have, as you can imagine, been living in literary limbo ever since.

(Note to self: Best not to combine your only child's flight to college with the loss of your editor with the loss of two major client projects (due to internal client issues) all in the same week; it can do damage. It can set you off doing all kinds of odd things like, say, vlogging.)

Late last week I learned that I do have a future at Harper with Heart. Jill Santopolo, also mentioned in the story on Melissa's blog, is taking me forward under the Harper imprint Balzer & Bray. She's whip-smart, reliable, funny, and promises me a night out on the town, if only I'd drink mojitos.

Who knows. If anything else happens here, I might just have to drink mojitos.

(For the record, you can meet Jill in my third novel, Nothing but Ghosts. Or you can meet the character she inspired — a good-looking, curly-headed blond guy named Danny Santopolo.)

For now, I'm raising my literary glass to Miss Melissa Walker, who has promised me an interview for my blog soon. Can't wait for that!

And I'm raising my glass to Jill. Yes. Absolutely. We are kicking butt with Heart.

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Yay for your future with Harper! Jill is actually coming to Austin this Saturday for an SCBWI workshop I'm going to. Ought to be fun!
And I love the Betty Boop story/connection!

Melissa Walker said...

I want to have a mojito with you too, Beth! Perhaps you'll come for fashion week next time and be my +1 for a party? I'd love that. I'm often alone at those things, and b-o-r-e-d.

Thank you for the gorgeous cover story.

Em said...

I loved the cover stories about your books! If I ever started seriously writing and had my own workspace, I'd put up framed pictures of Undercover and House. Because they are both gorgeous and because looking at them, thinking of their characters, would inspire me to write better. :)

For now, I'll just read the books though...

Beth Kephart said...

You are all too cute. First, PJ, how terrific that you'll have Jill in your presence in just a few days! Melissa, I'll be your plus one anytime. Miss Em, I'll personally deliver the cover art to your new studio.

b

Anna Lefler said...

A dear friend of mine lived in Phoenixville a few years back. I know it only through her eyes. Those were tough, lonely years for her, but it sounds like the town is now on the upswing. (Happily, so is her new life in Maryland.) Congratulations on your wonderful book news! If folks are voting on the mojito issue, I cast a resounding YES. :^)

Vivian Mahoney said...

Love your cover story--the heart-shaped leaf--beautiful! And congrats on the next book!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP