The Road Home

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I have turned my attention to Rose Tremain's The Road Home, a book that kept me reading much of the night, on the long, black couch where I am parked many a night. It's her precision that is so thrilling, not a single superfluous word and yet no scene that feels thin or meagerly adjoined to another.

Indeed, The Road Home is a seamless book, at least so far. Which makes it feel like a faultless book. Not flawless, perhaps there's that too. But faultless in that each of the characters is living what seems like a true life, nothing fancied up or muddied up for the sake of plot spark, plot sparkle. Authenticity is the sparkle here. That and these incredible scenes of, say, fishing at night in a lake whose dirtied waters have blued the fish, turned them neon colors.

The Road Home is a widower's story—a journey made from Eastern Europe to London. It is rocking this reader hard.

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

It doesn't sound like YA. Am I right?
And I'm seriously impressed with how quickly you can read.

Beth Kephart said...

Ah, yes. You are right. I read whatever calls to me, for I believe that all great books spring from greatness, whether they be Helme Heine's spectacular picture books or Anne of Green Gables or Gatsby or Per Petterson.

I read in search of brilliance. Sometimes I find that in a Vanity Fair paragraph or on a sign.

It just comforts me, to know it's there.

That it is attainable, for some people.

PJ Hoover said...

Funny you mention the paragraph. The last time I was visiting my parents, my dad handed me a book with a sticky note in it and told me to read a specific paragraph out of the text.
I was so awed about the power of one paragraph, even in a book without much deeper meaning (though it was a good book).

MarjoleinBookBlog said...

Hi Beth,
I would love to review House of dance for my review blog, wich is www.marjoleinbookblog.blogspot.com
Is it possible to request a review copy?
Many thanks in advance,
Marjolein Balm
(my mail is marjoleinbookblog(a)gmail

Beth Kephart said...

Hello, Marjolein.... I've just answered your kind note via email (just in case you check here first).

b

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP