Logical Progressions

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"The problems in logic," my college freshman son writes at 1:15 last night, "are tricky, but once you figure them out, they're easy to do and almost impossible to get wrong. They're just logically correct and require a lot of thinking."

So it must be. So this is another lesson from my son, who has been teaching me courage and integrity since the day he was born and now teaches me logic, tolerance, new media, ambition. Nothing is black or white for him, as it should not be. Everything is to be considered, weighed, tested, found out for himself. Grasped and held onto as his own.

I haven't started a new writing project since he left for college; I only now begin to feel that someday (not today, not tomorrow, not this month, only someday) I might write again. I might write because, even though he is not here in this house or down the street at the theater or around the bend at the high school where his guidance counselor sometimes referred to him as the mayor, he's still this force that lights a path for me, that settles me at dawn with an email sent late in the night from a small room on a crowded floor where so many of his new friends live.

4 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

He's right on about logic! I love logic.
You must miss your son a bunch.
But...what are you going to write next. Just curious. That's all :)

lib said...

He learns, we learn....from each other for each other. Jeremy continues to grow in such a light that few do. He is a role model for all of us.

Now to writing...I find that there are times when I do not work on the play or song that needs to be started or simply finish what I have begun. Then, POW, there I am working feverishly with a new found excitement, a new creative spirit surrounds me. The time away from this is, more often than not, very good for my creative side. I give it a rest and work on something more technical.

Enjoy the time away from the new writing project. The start of this project (whatever it may be) will happen when the time is right.

Love you cousin!!

Anna Lefler said...

You have painted such a beautiful, bittersweet picture with this post. I've read it several times now and I realize that I also sense a gathering of energy...of something about to happen. Wonderful... :^)

Beth Kephart said...

Libby, you are so right. It's the very advice I often give to others; why don't I see it for myself? Well, I do, and you have helped. Thank you.

Anna and PJ: I'm not sure if anything is going to happen, truly. I just feel as if something might, and I haven't had that feeling since August. Three very different projects stir in the back blackness of my mind. One non fiction. One YA fiction. One something else. I need a day in a tunnel of no client calls, no requests, to figure it out. Or maybe two days.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP