Remembering my Mother, at Christmas

Monday, December 15, 2008

Except for this blog, I am not writing. I am reading, I am thinking, but I am not writing. If you were to ask me to write a poem I would say that I have no knowledge, at all, of poems—though of course I have written poems, some version of me has written poems, hundreds of them, journals full of them, but: How does one write a poem?

And if you were to ask me how a story gets made I'd ask you in return, What is a story? What does a story need? How do stories survive? I would ask, because it feels just now as if I don't know, as if I could never know, though some version of me has written dozens of stories, maybe hundreds, if you count tangents, drafts, revisions.

It is the holidays, and I am not writing; I am remembering. I am thinking about my mother at Christmas, all those Christmases (oh, how my mother loved Christmas) until her final Christmas, when she wasn't well and when it was my father and me every day for weeks in her ICU room. She was lost to us already, and yet I refused to believe, I held to the idea that she could hear me as I read aloud, that she could see the presents I brought for her—the handmade sweater, the ceramic tiles, the glamorous cooking ware, the roses (one for each of her children), the ornaments, the music and the machine that played the music.

Look, Mom, I would say. Mom, Look.

My mother loved Rod Stewart, and I am remembering that, and I am remembering how we filled her ICU room with his music, and how we waited for her to show us, somehow, that she could hear him. Hear us.

Sometimes I can remember, only. Poetry lives beyond me somewhere. Stories, too.

12 comments:

Becca said...

Sometimes the sadness supersedes the words for a while. But your stories will be back, and probably ever stronger for the time you spent honoring these memories.

Peace to you :)

Melissa said...

I remember reading your mother's obituary in the paper (maybe the Main Line Times?) and thinking what a wonderful person she sounds like and how wonderful it must have been to know her.

And now, through your blog, I feel that I do.

Tommy Schmitz said...

Nice, Beth. I think I'll follow along. - tommy

PJ Hoover said...

I get chills reading your post, Beth. It's beautiful.
And you don't need to be writing. Remembering is great for this time of year.

Beth Kephart said...

I feel overwhelmed by your generosity, all of you. And deeply moved, B&BM, that you noticed, that you remembered, that you thought what you did at the time.

Beth Kephart said...

Tommy Schmitz,
Thank you for joining the journey.

Vivian Mahoney said...

I smile that your Mom loved Rod Stewart. She's got great taste.

I bet your Mom heard the music, the stories, the love. It takes a special person to be there, every day, to communicate, to be present, mind and soul.

May you be wrapped in comfort and love while you remember your Mom, and see her within you.

Hugs.

Lenore Appelhans said...

My mother died when I was a teen, just at the age when you start to actually appreciate your mother and want to give back something. I bought her so many things I knew she'd like for Christmas, but she died in October. So I definitely understand your grief.

Sherry said...

Remembering and thinking...
I'm glad for this time - Christmas, the dark winter, the turning of a new year-to get us to stop and do these things.
Wishing you much comfort and warmth.

(If this comment shows up twice, please delete - I had a problem the first time.)

Beth Kephart said...

Vivian, Lenore, Sherry:

Let no one ever claim that this blogging world is "only" virtual. It is not. It is real. And I thank you.

Em said...

My eyes teared up when I read this post. It's obvious that you and your mom had a great relationship. Enjoy your thoughts and ponderings during the holidays.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, Beth. My heart is with you...

XO

Anna

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP