Subtlety's Persuasion

Sunday, December 21, 2008

"That's what I look for in my work: when a writer can deftly describe the human experience in a way that you didn't think could even be put into words. That doesn't happen often, but it gives me something to play inside. Too much of the time our culture fears subtlety. They really want to make sure you get it. And when subtlety gets lost, I get upset."

— Philip Seymour Hoffman, quoted in "A Higher Calling," by Lynn Hirschberg, The New York Times Magazine, 12/21/08

(I vote for this. I err on its side.)

5 comments:

Amy said...

What a great quote!! Of course, I'm guilty of sometimes missing the point, but I do agree with this.

Beth Kephart said...

Hey, I'm the one who had to study the history of science at college, just in case that lit stuff became too obtuse, obscure, obxxxxxxx

Sherry said...

Good quote. Gorgeous photo.

Beth Kephart said...

Sherry, I posted that photo with you in mind......

Holly said...

:) One of the best parts of reading, I think.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP