Ice Skating

Friday, January 16, 2009

The cold snap has me thinking of ice and blades, of first waltz jumps on frozen Boston ponds, and of the Schuylkill River, years ago, when skating clubs rose up along the banks and men pushed their ladies about on bladed chairs. (Ah, gallantry, where has it gone?)

But what does it feel like to be skated upon? I wondered about that as I wrote Flow, the river's autobiography. I thought it might go something like this:

Imagine taking a needle to the point of blood upon your palm. Imagine drawing that needle around and around, leaning in on it, forcing an edge, tearing at the creases and the lifelines, the ridges and slightest hills that forecast your happiness. Imagine the skin giving way.


That's skating.

(with thanks to The Library Company of Philadelphia for use of this iconic Boathouse Row image)

3 comments:

Mari said...

Ouch! I will never ice skate again. :)

Sherry said...

Ice skating! My son went for the second time, with his new Christmas skates, on Tuesday. :-)

Maya Ganesan said...

I haven't gone ice skating in so long! I should sometime soon. By the way, gorgeous picture.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP