The Longest Distance (short story excerpt)

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Even when you don’t ask you have asked by the way you look at me—by how you try to hold my eye, try to suggest (a touching gesture) that it is concern you feel, not curiosity. But if I had answers don’t you think that I’d confess them? That I’d have said by now, put out a proclamation, that Joelle died for this, or for that. That she died because. All I can tell you is what you know, which is: Joelle is gone. She’s the slash of black you see just after lightning breaks the sky. She’s the place where a cliff stops being stone and becomes the air that you could fall through.

From "The Longest Distance," a short story soon forthcoming in No Such Thing as the Real World, a HarperTeen collection also featuring An Na, M.T. Anderson, K.L. Going, Chris Lynch, and Jacqueline Woodson. And who had the idea for the anthology in the first place? Why, Miss Jill Santopolo, of course.

6 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

How exciting! I love short stories.

Sherry said...

It almost overwhelms me how there can be words that have been there all along, but have sat in a dark corner waiting to be found.
By you.

Beth Kephart said...

But, Sherry. The words have no real reason if they don't have readers. Like you. Sincerely.

And Lenore: This was a really wonderful project, an honor to be included there, among some of today's very best.

Maya Ganesan said...

I have always enjoyed your perspective of the world, the way you transfer beauty into words.

Now, here are words that contain everything that makes your writing amazing.

Beth Kephart said...

Maya,

You are most definitely too much, too kind, but I do adore you.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, my goodness. Another book for which I shall be panting as soon as it comes out.

Outstanding!

XO

Anna

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP