A Writer, Still?

Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's been a long time since I've coiled into an empty place, silenced the phone, turned my back to clients, and written the start of something new. So that often the thought behind the thoughts in my head is, Am I a writer, still, and also, If I didn't write again would I be whole?

In the beginning I wrote toward the seduction of language, toward the song of the stories in my head, toward the need to understand them. It's different now. If I were writing I would be writing because the work is medicinal. Because it cures me of myself like little else can.

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

You are always a writer.
That said...
when are you going to?

Beth Kephart said...

Ah, PJ. I don't know. The work doesn't lift. I find little time to think.

But thank you.

Sherry said...

I'm often frustrated because I don't have the swirling stories in my head, but I understand the second idea of writing being medicinal. Almost therapeutic. Hope you can get to it soon.

Maya Ganesan said...

I understand. You will always be a writer, and even if you don't write, you will always remain a writer at heart.

I know I wouldn't be whole if I didn't write again. I've never written because I needed to, because it was the only cure, but I imagine there are situations like that -- such as yours.

I wonder...playing off your note on my blog...
let the inspiration come to you. As others have told me, life is the best muse, the best inspiration.

Em said...

It's so funny because I really only know you as a writer. I mean, I know you as a friend now, but in my mind, you are first and foremost a writer because that's how I discovered you. Even if you never wrote another book and we were friends for 20 or 30 years, I'd still describe you as a writer. Of course, selfishly, I hope that you'll write more books. :-)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP