The Preemptive Howl

Monday, February 23, 2009

These claims, only, can be made for this day: I gave it over to dreaming. To preparing even more for the young writers' workshop I'll be teaching tomorrow, though my agenda is jammed already—more to do, more to see, more to talk about than the girls and I could possibly squeeze into one day.

And yet, how can we call tomorrow a success if we don't also speak of Rebecca Solnit's way of seeing, for example, the color blue? The world is blue at its edges and in its depths. This blue is the light that got lost. How can we not retrieve Jean-Dominique Bauby from the brink? The last time I saw my father, I shaved him. It was the week of my stroke. How can we talk about beginnings and voice if we do not begin with Ondaatje? Drought since December. How can we claim to move toward the authentic and raw, if we do not tantrum with C.K. Williams, if we do not share his "preemptive howl"? And did you really think it would be possible for me to face a group of aspiring teen writers without reading aloud, with them, from The Book Thief? An original book and a popular book. You see, I'll tell them. It can be done.

And then I'll remind them of what Natalia Ginzburg had to say. I'll warn them, so I can warn myself: There is a danger of cheating with words that don't really come from within, that we have fished up from outside at random and skillfully pieced together, for we do become cunning. There is a danger in becoming cunning, in cheating. It is a very difficult craft, as you can see, but the most wonderful in the world.

3 comments:

Em said...

Oh, your students don't know how lucky they are! But I bet they will after tomorrow... :)

Anna Lefler said...

Fantastic!

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the day with your young (very lucky) students.

XO

A.

Sherry said...

I'd never read C.K Williams' "Tantrum." Love it. I have the Diving Bell and the Butterfly on my "read soon" list. I need to buy my own copy of The Book Thief to reread and share. Thank you treating us to a few nuggets of treasure you gave the girls.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP