And Then I Cried

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

There was hardly a soul in the restaurant last night by the time my husband and I made our way to it. The streets were thick with ice and the snow that had been falling all day long kept rising back up with the wind and snapping. I had my blackberry with me because I always do, because it is my one connection across hundreds of miles to my son; I want to be near if he wants to talk. And so there we were, and there was the blackberry, and there was cold outside and a certain emptiness in my heart—a sadness stemming from news encountered earlier in the day.

Toward the end of the meal (appetizers, only), that little red blackberry light went off, and I checked to see to whom it might belong. It was Little Willow, of all people, a forerunner blogger of forerunner bloggers, who was out there doing smart book talk in advance of most of the world.

Guess who has a book recommended in this month's issue of readergirlz? she wrote. You do! You do! The postergirlz picked UNDERCOVER as a recommended read, along with our main March pick, THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX by Mary E. Pearson.

I try hard not to cry at things that are not life and death related, but no amount of resolve stopped my tears with this. Because who are those readergirlz? They are Lorie Ann Grover, dancer, writer, illustrator, thinker. They are Justina Chen Headley, former executive and now author of such supremely successful and lovely, intelligent books as NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL, her latest, which earned three starred reviews and is getting incredible responses across the blogosophere. They are Melissa Walker, and we all know Melissa—beloved author of the VIOLET series and fashionista, who reports on her Manhattan travels so that the rest of us can be voyeurs. They are Dia Calhoun, the acclaimed authoress, and Holly Cupala, whose first novel is due out in 2010. And in essential supporting roles there are those like Miss Little Willow herself, HipWriterMama (a blogger I admired for so long from afar, a writer, and interviewer extraordinaire), and the delightfully popular Miss Erin, rising actress and poet and friend (and daughter of sometimes actress, rising photographer, and always friend Sherry!).

They are, in other words, women I have long respected. Women who are out there making a difference with their voices and their opinions.

UNDERCOVER stands as a March pick among books that I'd be proud to be associated with on any day of any week: MEMOIRS OF A TEENAGE AMNESIAC, FRANKENSTEIN, GRACELING, NOT QUITE WHAT I WAS PLANNING: SIX-WORD MEMOIRS BY WRITERS FAMOUS AND OBSCURE, and WALDEN.

I don't know about you, but sometimes electronic hugs, as first delivered upon my heart by Anna Lefler, are not enough.

Still:

(((thank you)))

25 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Awesome news. In honor of ReaderGirlz I should read Undercover this month :)

Beth Kephart said...

You're a sweetheart, Miss Lenore. It's not dystopian, and I've been so worried about that and you. But it's me, trying my best.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Justly deserved, Beth! Worth shedding a tear of joy for, definitely!

Lenore Appelhans said...

While I love dystopias, I also love a lot of other topics. No need to worry!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Lenore,
You are going to love UNDERCOVER!

So well deserved, Beth! Congratulations!

Priya said...

Congratulations! I can't wai Underco now.ver

Emily Ruth said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations :)

Maya Ganesan said...

Oh, yes! I noticed and I was going to tell you, but it looks like Little Willow beat me to it :)

Little Willow said...

Dare I quote Into the Woods?
We're so happy you're so happy.
:)

Lorie Ann Grover said...

We are honored to have YOU in our midst, Beth. Thank you!

Melissa Walker said...

This book is worthy of a thousand awards and inclusions! We're so happy to have you with us at readergirlz!

Juliet Colors said...

Congrats! Now I'm going to have to find the time to check out all these links you've provided... which I suspect are going to lead me to many more good reads. :-)

septembermom said...

Congratulations! How wonderful to get the recognition that you deserve!

holly cupala said...

Beth, I was so excited to see your book as one of the picks this month! I've long admired you and felt a friendship via our mutual friends.

Sherry said...

Aack! Oh, Beth, I do not deserve to be mentioned in this post that celebrates the continued achievements of your TERRIFIC book, Undercover AND the amazing work of the Superwomen that make up the bookloving, booksharing,very generous readergirlz.

I'm so happy that Undercover is on the recommended list this month. And I can't help but say that I look forward to a month, someday, in which one of your books gets chosen as the main pick, so that teens (and other fans~)will get good and saturated with BK inspiration. Cheers!

Florinda said...

Congratulations on the book selection! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only long-distance mom who keeps her cell phone nearby just in case her son needs to talk :-).

poetjanes said...

Terrific news! Congrats and celebrations!

Dia Calhoun said...

Welcome to readergirlz!

Anonymous said...

Beth, you write so beautifully - I would love to read more. Where can I access/order your books?

Sending an electronic hug: *squeeze*

Also saw a clip of Anna Lefler doing stand-up - her blog has me laughing out loud any time there's a new post, and seeing her live sure as heck didn't disappoint! That lady rocks, and so do you. *another squeeze*

Anna x

Erin said...

We love you Beth!
And ditto LW...so happy you're happy. :)

Beth Kephart said...

To all of you who have made this day the utterly emotional day that it has been, I thank you.

I don't know how to begin, and so I begin and end there: I thank you.

Emily Ruth said...

p.s. picked it up at the library today XD

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, YAY!

I'm thrilled for you...and for all the young people (of all ages) who will be reading your gorgeous work.

Cheers.

XO

Anna

Em said...

That's wonderful, Beth! I can't wait to see the discussions for Undercover at Readergirlz. :)

Melissa said...

Wonderful news, Beth. It sounds as if this certainly helped lift a bit of the recent disappointment. Hope you're doing OK.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP