Easy Doesn't Do It: The Madness of My Poetic Method

Friday, May 15, 2009

Okay, sure. I asked my husband to read one of my poems (a task I have learned, through the years, to but rarely impose on the visual artist to whom I'm married) and he said, in a quick green-tinted e-mail: "sounds nice and I have no idea what it means." I asked another friend; he said, "I tried to understand; I couldn't." I asked my son if he might read the poem I'd blogged for him today. He said, "Tomorrow, Mom, I will read it more closely. Today what I can tell is this: You are happy that I am happy, and you've always loved me a lot."

I write poetry in the heat of fever, in the panic of insomnia, in the utterly rare quiet that I sometimes claim between things. I write it to knock language about and to dirty it up, to go wild against convention. I write it to outsize thoughts and to slim them down, to win the undefended war. To find peace: I write poems to find peace, which is, in my world, so cruelly elusive.

But what is poetry? What should poetry be? I am still trying to figure that out. That's why I so enjoyed this week's New Yorker story, "Slang-Whanger," about the long-deceased but still considerable William Hazlitt (by Arthur Krystal). Take a listen to Hazlitt's words, here:

The language of poetry naturally falls within the language of power.... The principle of poetry is a very anti-levelling principle. It aims at effect, it exists by contrast. It admits of no medium. It is every thing by excess. It rises above the ordinary standard of sufferings and crimes. It presents a dazzling appearance.... Poetry is right-royal. It puts the individual for the species, the one above the infinite many, might before right.

9 comments:

Sherrie Petersen said...

Well now I'm curious to hear the poem you wrote!

Anonymous said...

I don't think any one thing can define poetry anymore that it can define prose.

You can't even say really that poetry is short: how long was that book of Vikram Seth's that was one long poem?

Anything I think to say about it I can contradict. It's about imagery not narrative. Not true, back to Seth and older traditions of narrative poetry.

It's about image rather than idea. Not true. There are powerful poems about ideas, too.

So I won't try to say anything to define it. I read it. I love it. I used to write it. Go and and keep writing it, Beth. And I'll read it.

Erin said...

I loooove that second paragraph. Love.

And yeah, I want to read the poem now too...

Maya Ganesan said...

:) This is me, too. I'll write a new poem and no one (not even me) will understand it.

Beth Kephart said...

My goodness, I am grateful to all of you.

Anna Lefler said...

So...it sounds like poetry is the jet-fueled monster truck of literature.

I'm down with that.

;^) A.

Woman in a Window said...

I like how Lilian presents and tears down. That's so. Poetry is whatever the poet creates. To be a poet, have a poet's soul, be cranky, corduroyed and in love with thinking/seeing/being.

Yes, give us your poem! Darnabit!

Q said...

I think that poetry is a linguistic attempt to be more than the sum of its parts.

Beth Kephart said...

I want to have a party and invite all of you.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP