Eureka, Gamma Waves, and Colum McCann

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Joseph Dorazio, a poet and friend, alerted me to a recent Wall Street Journal article titled "A Wandering Mind Heads Straight Toward Insight" (Robert Lee Holz, Science Journal, June 19, 2009). There's an emerging science of epiphany, apparently. There's proof that daydreaming matters.

"Sudden insights," Holz tells us, "are the culmination of an intense and complex series of brain states that require more neural resources than methodical reasoning. People who solve problems through insight generate different patterns of brain waves than those who solve problems analytically."

Eureka moments, Holz reports, are accompanied by "a distinctive flash of gamma waves emanating from the brain's right hemisphere, which is involved in handling associations and assembling elements of a problem." Moreover, in EEG-assisted research scientists have seen that "that tell-tale burst of gamma waves was almost always preceded by a change in alpha brain-wave intensity in the visual cortex, which controls what we see. They took it as evidence that the brain was dampening the neurons there similar to the way we consciously close our eyes to concentrate."

Well, now, I like this, and Joseph knew that I would. I like it because in my memoir, Seeing Past Z, I made a long argument for the value of daydreaming—for giving kids room to imagine. I like it because I spent much of yesterday blanketed into a couch, trying to see the next scene in the novel I am writing. My thoughts were uncontainable. I could not keep them tethered. They wound in and out of the sound of rain, through conversations I'd been having, through images of my past, through the old newspaper stories I've lately been reading. Anyone trying to measure my thought's progress would have given up and left me for useless (I was about to do the same, just ask Reiko, who rescued me with a mid-daydreaming email) when, all of a sudden, I had a breakthrough on the novel I am writing. I felt the bright burst of gamma waves.

The novel inched forward.

This coming week, on Tuesday, one of my very favorite authors, Colum McCann, is releasing his fifth novel, Let the Great World Spin. Few authors trust their imagination, their process, as thoroughly as the entirely lovable, provocatively talented McCann, and I urge you to visit his website so that you might learn about this book that soon the literarily privileged will be reading. There's a video of McCann talking process on his site (and on Amazon.com). He's the real thing—aching and wanting like the rest of us, but somehow always pushing through. He's a writer worth listening to.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

I know those moments of which you speak. They're few and far between, but so welcomed. I'm glad you were able to achieve your sudden insight. :)

Ed Goldberg said...

I'm a big fan of daydreaming. Clears the mind, allowing those deeply hidden thoughts to emerge. Many times puts a smile on your face. Especially on a rainy Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Way to go on your breakthrough. And here's to daydreaming!

Liviania said...

Thanks for the article link! I love finding things that help explain how I think. (I think the worst part of an insight is working out the analysis to explain to others.)

woman who roars said...

Hooray for a hard won inch - so much more rewarding than an easy mile!

Woman in a Window said...

I'm really intrigued by the process of writing. I'm preprocess. I'm all pre everything, really. I enjoy the living and forget to take the time to draw it out. I live in my legs instead of my pen. I wonder how I might make it otherwise.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP