Nothing but Ghosts, An Excerpt on Launch Week

Sunday, June 21, 2009

...I finally found them down where a wedding was going on, or had already happened, my mother sitting on a bench, my dad beside her, both of them watching this bride and her groom at the edge of a pond where the water was so still I could have sworn it was a mirror. I saw my mom pull a flower straight out of a tree. I saw her stand, take the flower to the bride, and bow her head. I saw her go back to the bench and sit down with my dad and ask him, "Would you marry me again, Jimmy? Would you?"

"In a heartbeat," he said, "and you know it."

"I wouldn't take any of it back," Mom said, and maybe I don't know how you put regret inside a painting, maybe I can't figure out Miss Martine, maybe I can't really save my dad from sadness, but maybe so much time goes by that you start to understand how beauty and sadness can both live in one place.

9 comments:

Priya said...

What is the picture of?

Woman in a Window said...

Now, these aren't your real parents, but I want them to be. Although I'm sure your real parents are sweeter still, these ones are mighty fine.

Beth Kephart said...

Priya, the picture is of two boats in Venice, during the Biennale of a few years back. The boats were art.

And Erin (Erin!), no, not my real parents. But there was a trip that I took to Barcelona once.

Melissa said...

Can't wait for Tuesday ...

Sarah Anne said...

Beauty and sad all wrapped up into one. It's like the Littmus Lozenges in "Because of Winn-Dixie."

Tessa said...

Aaah, yes...how perfect.

I was talking to some young friends this weekend about your books, Beth, and they were intriqued and excited. So don't be surprised if you get some young English visitors to your blog in the coming days.

Launch Week! Champagne anyone? Oh Beth, you'll be so busy....will you be doing book signings, I wonder. Don't forget to tell us all about your journey through the week!

Ed Goldberg said...

All I can say is Nothing But Ghosts is a wonderful book. Read it.

Venice is a city I want to go back to. It is one of the best places to take walks along little used side streets, looking into nooks and crannies. I remember going a block or two off the tourist streets and feeling like I was in old Italy where people didn't speak English. The contrast between that and the main thoroughfare was mind boggling.

Vivian Mahoney said...

I loved reading this passage. It simply pulls at my heartstrings.

I loved Nothing But Ghosts and can't wait until everyone else can read it!!

Ed Goldberg said...

According to Book Page "Beth Kephart's dazzling new novel is wise and wonderful, certian to be a revelation for young adult readers." How right she is.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP