Does Only Nonfiction Count?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My son has begun reading one of my favorite novels of all time, Paul Horgan's The Richard Trilogy. Seeing my son bent over those pages reminds me of a scene from my fourth book, a memoir called Seeing Past Z. It reminds me of a conversation my son and I had some seven years ago, when most of what I wrote was true. That excerpt here:

He works, exclusively now, at the kitchen table, his own vast kingdom. Sometimes after school, sometime late on Saturdays, sometimes early in the morning, sometimes with me sitting across from him with my own stash of things. Today I have notes and research cards spread on my side, Jeremy has colored pencils and markers on his, and I am losing myself in my own project. It takes me a moment to realize that Jeremy is doing nothing. That he is just sitting at the table, watching me.

“What’s up?” I ask.

“I’m worried,” he says.

“Why?” I say. “About what?”

“Mom,” Jeremy says after a moment, “what I want to know is this: Is it only nonfiction that counts, that makes a difference?” He makes a gesture toward my side of things—my pile of New York Times, my dictionary, my research notes. Nonfiction.

“Only nonfiction that counts?” I repeat the question. Counts, I wonder. Counts? Jeremy is not asking about personal satisfaction, not wondering whether he’d be happier with another genre. He has used the word counts, and I don’t know what he means, what kind of answer my kid is looking for.

“I mean,” he goes on, this fledgling plotter of crooked story lines, this near-master of the absurd, this writer of verve and imagination, “can only nonfiction change the world? Change people’s hearts? Change what they believe?”

“Well,” I say. “Well …” and my mind trips back to the conversation we’d been having not an hour ago—a conversation about a story that had run a few weeks before in The New York Times Sunday Magazine. The story was about the death of a doctor who’d been saving lives in Africa, and the story—its very existence coupled with the power of its prose—had produced in the Times’ readers such empathy and concern that the readers had responded with a spontaneous outpouring of funds for the doctor’s family. “This is what a story can do,” I’d told Jeremy. “This is why it matters that writers give their hearts to what they write. Because stories like this can change the world sometimes, or at least make a bad thing better.”

“I’m right, aren’t I?” Jeremy says, because I haven’t yet responded. “Only nonfiction counts, doesn’t it? Only nonfiction can make good things happen for other people.”

“Well,” I say, and I am not stalling, I’m merely looking for the words, but he cuts me off with a sigh before I’ve produced a single fleck of counter evidence.

“Yeah,” Jeremy says. “That’s what I figured.”

“No,” I say. “Wait a minute ….”

But he’s already set his story aside and he’s packing up his things for school. We get in the car. I drive the familiar roads. We talk about lunch money and math, stay clear of his question. When we pull in to the school’s drive, I kiss Jeremy goodbye. He says, resignedly, “Love you, Mom.” Then he closes the door, and he’s gone.

Back at the house, I walk through our old few-room dwelling mulling over Jeremy’s question and kicking myself for my non-answer. Yes, I should have said, fiction too can change a heart, fiction can engender kindness and forgiveness, make someone out there care. Gut reaction. Point of fact. Politics. Fiction cures, redeems, and leavens; it preserves and it forgives. Your fiction has the capacity to affect another, I should have said. The best of fiction always does.

In Jeremy’s absence, I retreat to my long wall of double-stacked books, my own private version of a trophy shelf.... I pull some favorite volumes to the floor and sit among them. I think about all the ways I’ve been rescued by characters who only ever lived on paper. Rescued from loneliness. Rescued from boredom. Rescued from sleeplessness and sickness, tedium and trials. I think of all the sympathies fiction has generated in me, all the sudden swells of terror, heartbreak, hope, and calm that have come my way through novels, tainted my politics, held me somehow accountable to an idea or a dream, made me want to do something more extravagantly useful with my life. Fiction changes the world one reader at a time. And this is what I should have said.

9 comments:

woman who roars said...

Wow. Beth, somehow when you express certain sentiments - like here when you mention the importance of fiction, I feel like those nebulous, indefinable feelings I've had or those whispers of a thought that haven't really coalesced have been given birth - life really, in poetic prose.
If that sounds amazingly self consumed I apologize - I only mean to thank you for verbalizing your ideas in such a way that also ring true for me.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes fiction does more than that. There are many times when a novel has changed social perceptions. Remember "Black Like Me" and the stir it made? In the late 19th century it was novels about social conditions that spurred reform movements. News reports are just that: news. But to effect a greater change, empathy has to be generated and a novel can put a reader in shoes the reader would otherwise never wear. In the UK "Children of the Ghetto" did a lot to combat antisemitism (1894). I'm sure there are other examples.

Beth Kephart said...

Sierra, you are so sweet. I don't think I ever really know what I think until I try to write it down. And oh how long it can take me to get it even partly right.

And LN, you are so right. Seeing Past Z is all about all the things that fiction is and can be, and how it can be imagined forward. I worried about tattling on too long with the excerpt, but I am absolutely right there with you on that.

Becca said...

Another wonderful thing about fiction is that it allows the writer to create answers to problems, to make things happen in the readers mind, to stir the pot of the readers imagination and make them see things differently.

Fiction most definitely counts...

Ed Goldberg said...

Think of some of the topical, issue driven teen fiction such as Speak or Breathing Underwater or Keeping You a Secret or Whale Talk or Wintergirls or Cut. My oh my, those books count if you want to make someone aware of an issue, change their minds.
Think of House of Dance. A grandfather and a granddaughter, a father and daughter. Does that not create emotions which can change the way a person thinks or acts? You bet.
If fiction didn't count, I'd be out of luck since that's mostly what I read.

Anna Lefler said...

I could not agree more...

XO

A.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

What a great conversation between you and your son - and a thoughtful topic.

Fiction is important... it can change you. Strong characters stay with me. They may not be real - but pieces of them can become real to us...

Em said...

I think we need a little bit of both fiction and non-fiction to change things, they help to balance each other out and they each help us to understand the world in different ways.

And, Beth, let me just say that it eases my mind knowing that someone as smart and thoughtful as yourself doesn't always have the right answer at the right moment. That's a bit of hope for all of us regular people. :)

kristen spina said...

Oh yes, it does most definitely count, but I agree--how to express that, to capture all the nuances? I would have been left without an answer too. Beautiful post.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP