In Memory of Her

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A few moments ago, Jan Shaeffer, the executive director of St. Christopher's Foundation for Children and a friend, called with stunningly sad news about a beautiful young woman—this young woman—whom I'd interviewed and photographed last fall. She had been living in the Ronald McDonald House adjacent to St. Christopher's Hospital, and as part of an annual report project, I'd sat with her a few days shy of Halloween and talked about her life and the ways in which it had been shaped by cancer. She had moved me immeasurably, as I had then written here: The way she spoke with honesty of what was passing her by. The fierceness with which she approached her own survival. Her determination to get well so that she could return to a hospital one day not as a patient, but as a nurse.

Today I learn that she did not win her battle. Today I am remembering her alive.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

My condolences, Beth, on the loss of your friend ... so very sad, so young.

septembermom said...

So sad, Beth. I'm sorry for you and her family. Such promise.

RagDollVampGirl said...

I Am So Very Sorry For Your Loss...
May She Rest In Peace.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pink dogwood said...

so sad and so unfair.

lib said...

All of our todays are so precious. Our todays are fewer than we can imagine. Our todays should be lived fully..treasure those we love...treasure what gives us pleasure...reach out beyond ourselves. Beth, you do this with your writing...you reach..you live...you treasure.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends family.

Anonymous said...

So sad.

Sherry said...

My sympathies, too.

I like how she kept dreaming and kept fighting. I bet that she inspired so many.

Beth Kephart said...

A note of, well, love to all of you.

Unknown said...

It is always sad to see someone so young pass away.

She lived, she dreamed, she mattered, she fought, she touched lives and I'm sure she inspired.

She will be remembered.

Peace - Rene

Tessa said...

Hamba khale - go gently sweet girl.

Em said...

How heartbreaking. It's wonderful though that you shared your memory of her with us. Thank you for that.

Ed Goldberg said...

I have heard of more cancer cases in the past two weeks than in the past years. I am trying not to sweat the small stuff because it's just not worth it. It is heart wrenching.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP