Nothing but Ghosts gets a PW Star

Monday, July 13, 2009

Yes, I just came from the gym. Back-to-back sessions of Body Pump and Zumba. That's why, driving home, I was allowing myself to dream of something sweet—something iced, sprinkled, and teeth deep in good tasting. I know I'm not supposed to reward my shaking triceps with sugar. But, like I said: the sessions were back-to-back.

Of course, I'm obsessive, so before hunting sweetness down in my tiny but supplied kitchen, I slid right into my old computer chair to read the latest round of emails.

There was, I discovered, some news: Nothing but Ghosts has received a starred Publishers Weekly review. I'm happy about that. Really, really happy.

Cupcakes, anyone?

Nothing but Ghosts Beth Kephart. HarperTeen, $17.99 (282p) ISBN 978-0-06-166796-1

Coping with loss and uncovering secrets are staples of YA fiction, but Kephart (House of Dance) skillfully uses nuanced characters and resonant imagery to make the familiar feel new and magical. Sixteen-year-old Katie D'Amore and her father live in an old “heirloom” house, one that's far too large following the recent death of Katie's mother. Her father restores paintings—bringing torn, stained and begrimed canvases back to life—and Katie has taken a summer job as a gardener for the town recluse, Miss Martine, which offers another kind of resurrection. But neither can leave grief behind. Orders to excavate an unlikely spot for a new gazebo lead Katie to investigate the mystery behind Miss Martine's sudden withdrawal from the world. Her search parallels her father's current restoration project, which also gives tantalizing glimpses into an old tragedy and the still-open wounds it left behind. Kephart's evocative writing and gentle resolution offer healing and hope as her characters come to terms with their losses. As Katie says, “Things disappear and vanish... and after that all you can do is keep the idea of them bright inside yourself.” Ages 12–up. (July)

24 comments:

Mari said...

Very cool. Congrats. That is a nice review. :)

Melissa said...

Congratulations, Beth! Well deserved ... the review AND the indulgence of a cupcake. (Or two. One for each completed session at the gym today.)

Q said...

Yes, this deserves cupcakes. Go have one.

Nicole said...

Congratulations, Beth!

Melanie said...

Congrats! That's great. You definitely deserve a cupcake.

wordlily said...

Congratulations! Well deserved.

http://wordlily.wordpress.com

Ed Goldberg said...

So, were they chocolate or vanilla cupcakes. Let's get to the important stuff. We KNOW the book is fabulous and the reviews are going to be great. But, are you a chocoholic, that is the question!

It's funny. To write this comment, I have to type a Word Verification to make sure I am who and am.

And the word...REPENT!!!! Tell the truth, did you have 2 cupcakes?

Beth Kephart said...

Thank you, everyone!!!

Now. Mr. Ed: Don't you think that's a personal question? Chocolate or not?

Of COURSE I love chocolate.

I'm alive, aren't I?

Ed Goldberg said...

Well, then, the next time you're in Barnes & Noble, try the chocolate cupcakes at the Starbucks counter. Almost better than home made.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the star!

Ed Goldberg said...

Just gave a teen House of Dance. She read Undercover and loved it.

Sherrie Petersen said...

YAY! I'm eating a cupcake now to celebrate :)

Hey, my verification word is reader! That I am!

Gwendolyn B. said...

Congratulations! I haven't cracked the spine on my copy yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Maya Ganesan said...

CONGRATS! That's amazing. Go indulge on more cupcakes. :) It's brilliant to look at how much praise you've received for NBG. You are one lucky, talented, and deserving person.

Priya said...

Congratulations! And those cupcakes look soooo good... you're making me hungry, Beth!

Sherry said...

swwwwwwwwwEEEETTT!

Anna Lefler said...

High-Fives all around!

You deserve this and many, many more.

Enjoy your cupcake...and go for seconds.

XO

Anna

Saints and Spinners said...

Hurrah! I have Nothing but Ghosts on my bookshelf now.

Woman in a Window said...

I'd go right for the bag of chocolate chips! Reward yourself!

ds said...

Congratulations!! That is wonderful news.

Becca said...

Oh, wonderful news! Well deserved, and worthy of celebrating with a delectable treat!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Wahoo! PW got this one right! Congrats!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP