Write What You Want, Open Your Own Doors

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lovers of books, buy the July 13th issue of Newsweek (a magazine that has lately been looking so smart, so right in its new designer threads). The editors have called this issue "What to Read Now," and there's no mere lip service to books paid here. This is the real thing, with articles titled "What to Read Now. And Why." (which lists The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Brooklyn among the top 50!!!), "The Write Stuff," "Best Books Ever," "Now, Read it Again," The Reluctant Poet Laureate," "My Favorite Covers," and "Homer & Langley: An exclusive (E.L. Doctorow) excerpt."

Readers of this blog know that I'm a huge fan of Olive Kitteridge, and that I had the privilege of seeing Elizabeth Strout read from this Pulitzer winner not long ago, and of speaking with her for a spell. She's one of the interviewees in this Newsweek issue, and what she has to say—not just about how hard writing is, but how essential— is worth the price of the magazine.

But there are also these pristine words from Lawrence Block. What Block expresses here is a notion in which I, too, have put my faith. My first book was rejected by the house that had stated, unequivocably, that it had plans to buy it, because, the house marketing team reported, it would never sell (and then it did). FLOW, my autobiography of a river, was considered unsalable; a university press took it on, and that book changed my life in Philadelphia. I write literary novels for young adult readers that are devoid of vampires and salacious details; somehow or other (that somehow being the blog community), those books still find their readers.

It can, in other words, be done. Lawrence Block:

"...I think the less attention I pay to what people want and the more attention I pay to just writing the book I want to write, the better I do. The enormous mistake a lot of young writers make is that they want to know what people want."

9 comments:

Ed Goldberg said...

Just keep doing what you're doing. You've got a devoted following of adults and young adults who will keep pushing your books because they are worth reading. I'll take House of Dance over vampires any day.

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Woman in a Window said...

I hear you in this. I feel you in this. I'm just waiting to hear myself, pay audience to the book rising within me. It's stirring now but yet I am still unsure what it might be.

Sherry said...

I like your post. And I'm with Woman in the Window. I've probably quoted this before, but it's stuck in my mind since reading or hearing it from Shannon Hale: "Write the story you want to read." Which goes along with what you are always saying, Beth, about the needing to know, to find out; that's what gets you up and writing in the wee hours.

Thanks for the heads up about the Newsweek issue. Thanks for the chat last night at My Friend Amy's, too. Such fun.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration (again!).

Kris Cahill said...

This line is beautiful, and hopefully a validation to you and your commitment to your vision:

"...I think the less attention I pay to what people want and the more attention I pay to just writing the book I want to write, the better I do. The enormous mistake a lot of young writers make is that they want to know what people want."

Absolutely! Not just writers, but painters, singers, actors, and so on. Nobody ever achieves a satisfying success walking in someone else's shoes. Your vision is unique and beautiful. Keep it up! I thank you for the gift of your writing.

Tessa said...

'Write what you want, open your own doors'. I will, Beth. You, dear one, are an inspiration.

Becca said...

Amen!

When I was a teenager and used that age old line "But everyone else is doing it!", my mother would give me her best disappointed stare and reply, "Do you really want to be like everyone else?"

My conclusion? No, I don't.

I don't need to write like everyone else either, and certainly neither do you, for your writing is perfectly and uniquely beautiful :)

Em said...

Off topic of your post but I recently read OLIVE KITTERIDGE for a bookclub and, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was left feeling depressed. The outlook on marriage was so harsh. I would argue that there wasn't a happy, healthy marriage to be found in the whole book. Any thoughts on this? Am I just seeing rainbows since I've only been married 3 years? :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP