Me in Person

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It was my friend Buzz Bissinger who got me onto Facebook—a series of notes from him that could not be read unless I went ahead and plugged myself in. I'm not what anyone would call Facebook adept; I still can't figure out which notes are private, which are public, what the world sees and what gets sent to just one friend. And don't even ask me about that wall, and to be honest: the photos that I've posted are just the ones that have stuck; who knows where the rest of them have gone to.

Still and nonetheless (and yet!): Facebook has brought me back into touch with former high school track teamers (Donna and Donna) and with a Bread Loaf alum (Leslie Pietrzyk). It has introduced me to editors and readers. It has kept me up-to-date with the infamous personalities of the ballroom dance world (the famous ones, too), and it has presented me with a number, an actual number, of friends. Counted them up for me on the off-chance that I need to quantify my life. (According to the stats, I have far fewer "friends" than the average Facebooker.)

This week, I received a message, and then a brief series of notes, from a writer named Kathy Briccetti. Ultimately I received from her an attachment. It was an essay she'd written for an anthology called A Cup of Comfort for Writers. The piece is called "The Drowning Girl." It recounts a moment several years ago in the Tiburon bookstore, Book Passages, where I'd gone to read from my Chanticleer memoir, Ghosts in the Garden, and where I talked about the writing life. Kathy had been in the audience that night. She captured that moment in time.

I am no celebrity writer. I rarely read from my own books. I've only ever once been invited to the BEA, and this is what happened then: They put my signing "line" directly beside Jodi Picoult's signing line. Guess which line was longest (by about ten miles)? And so it touched me more deeply than I can say to read Kathy's account of an evening four years ago, to realize that I'd been listened to that carefully, that I'd been transcribed onto another's page. I don't believe I've ever read another's account of me; it's one thing to be interviewed and it's another to be described. My wild hair is there. My deep set eyes, lost entirely to shadow. My way of speaking, pausing, thinking.

What is the punch line? What is there to say? Nothing, but that I found myself in tears by the essay's end. That was me then. I existed.

10 comments:

Beth F said...

It doesn't surprise me that you made such a lasting impression!

I haven't gotten into facebook yet. I'm hoping to stay away. Twitter is enough of a time sink.

Em said...

How wonderful! It's fun to connect with old and new friends. I just friended my high school English teacher (my Ms. Charmin) the other day. :)

Sherry said...

I like this. Have a good day, B.

holly cupala said...

What I wouldn't give to meet you in person! I hope it happens someday. I have a feeling it will.

Anonymous said...

I still haven't figured out Facebook. But that sounds very cool.

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... how wonderful. You may have sold me on Facebook with this post ... I still haven't dove in ... I've been digging my heels in instead! :-)

Kelly H-Y said...

Ooops ... forgot to mention that I gave you a Superior Scribbler award ... just posted it on my blog today! Congratulations!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

I've had that surprise experience on Face book too...and connected to a lost high school and jr. high school friend... the best friends forever type. It was so exciting to read about how I was- one dear lost friend wrote,"I always thought that you would end up in something with the environment because when you dropped a piece of paper, you would pick up six pieces to make up for it." Imagine hearing that about yourself!

Btw Beth, Of course you are a celebrity writer...you write so well, naturally you have fans!

septembermom said...

I still haven't jumped on the Facebook bandwagon yet. Your post does make me think about it!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

And you still do. Exist, Beth.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP