Bloggers on the Verge; Dashboard at Night

Saturday, September 5, 2009

There was a crash here yesterday that no one heard. There was me, hitting the wall. I might have been that sheet of paper that one fists up to toss. I might have been wrinkle and toss.

In the aftermath I sat alone thinking about bloggers. About those I have come to know over the past two years, since I began this blogging journey. I was thinking about the tremble of words that get proffered out here, the colorations of life, the shake points, the anchors. About how we come to know and love these souls whose faces are not known to us—how we follow their stories, how we are pulled up short when those stories disappear.

For many of the bloggers for whom I've come to feel a kinship are on the verge of such disappearance, or are already gone—their real lives taking them down another path; their ears tuned to new songs; their confessions, admissions, atrocities, humor, opinions put aside, at least for now, or yielded to others.

This, then, is to say to them: I will miss you. And: I understand.

I should say, for some of my Facebook friends have inquired, if, by way of this post, I am announcing an end to my blog. I am not. I am feeling melancholy, as I just said in a Facebook comment, about how much of our lives go on unknown to one another, about how we grow attached to people we will likely never meet, and about how others' lives snap off, in the mid-sentence of our reading. I will still blog. It is the journal that I keep, the conversation that I cherish. But things shift, and I do, too.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfectly put, Beth...

Is it alright to say that to yourself as well?

Feelin' reeeeally blocked over here.
Waiting to catch some lighting in a bottle :)

Peace - Rene

bermudaonion said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've been lucky enough to meet some of those faceless souls and now consider some of them to be very dear friends. I would miss them so if they weren't around anymore.

Julie P. said...

Isn't is amazing how close we get to people we don't even know -- my husband calls all my blogger friends my fake friends! I think blogging is like life. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's a struggle! It's nice that there are so many understanding and supportive bloggers out there!

Amy said...

I know. There's something about inviting someone into your life on a daily basis by way of reading their blog that really and truly makes them a part of your life. I still think about bloggers who no longer blog...I wonder what they're up to how they're doing. Our lives crossed, even if only by way of internet.

Beth F said...

There is definitely an ebb and flow to blogging. Some people find it's not for them, some people just have too much going on in other areas to stick around.

But I am one of the lucky bloggers because I have met many book bloggers in real life and others on video Skype. But even the ones I've never seen are special to me. It's very hard to explain that to friends and family who do not blog or use Twitter.

Sherrie Petersen said...

The internet really is a web. I'm glad ours got tangled. Amazing how that works...

Liviania said...

That's the trouble with internet relationships. It's even easier to lose people.

And I love the dashboard photo. I love bright lights. (Is it any wonder I love Vegas?)

Anonymous said...

Beth,

This resonates with me deeply. I have a true affection for people I have never met, but who bother to share their lives and thoughts and check in on mine right here in cyberspace. I miss the folks who leave and wonder how they are. When summer ended and my break was over, I realized how many folks I have missed here!

kate hopper said...

Beth, I've been thinking about this very thing in the last month as a number of blogging friends have fallen silent. Thank you for your words, as always.

Sherry said...

I hear and know; I, myself, being in the down mode of posting on my blog.
But I still so want to and I'm sure many of these people do, too.

Coming out of the theater after seeing Julie and Julia, my daughter and I marveled at what blogging not only does but gives; what(and who) we'd been given. Amazing.

A Cuban In London said...

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do. I loved your blog a lot, although I have only started coming in recent months. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Becca said...

The connection with other bloggers is so interesting to me. I've been keeping a blog for almost four years, and in that time have developed a couple of very close connections which then disappeared when the bloggers decided to stop. It is hard to describe the sense of loss after that.

Holly said...

Our own small tragedies, hm?

I can echo Sherry's marvel.

Em said...

It's amazing how attached we become to certain blog friends. I still miss one of my earliest blog friends who stopped blogging after going off to college. It's a hard thing to keep up, I can certainly understand that.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP