Letting the Book Show You the Way

Thursday, September 17, 2009

I have found the time, after too much time, to look back over the 186 pages of the novel-in-progress I had been writing before edits of other books came in, and client work, and a mini-house makeover (paint, the excision of cob webs, the scrubbing of a deck, the lightening of closets). I sat there, yesterday and early today, on the living room couch, and I read.

The proper foundation, I have discovered, has been laid.

It is time to take the book forward, to see, as E.L. Doctorow in this wonderful New York Times video interview says, just what the book will reveal itself to be. You work it out as you go along, he says.

Yes, indeed. You do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Beth. I haven't visited your blog in quite a while and it's really a shame. But this time I really needed to to thank you personally for the wonderful post you wrote for the BBAW site. I think every book blogger should do the same because one hardly ever sees wonderful authors like you being so appreciative of us. Thank you.

LisaSam said...

love this photo. wish I took it.
Lisa

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP