In the end, what does it mean?

Monday, October 26, 2009

The thing about making yourself vulnerable in a discipline you'll never own is that you don't go out and do it alone. When you dance, for example, before a few hundred people on a Sunday afternoon on a stage, it's not the steps that matter in the end, not really. It's Annika and Monika, who arrive early, with all their enthusiasms, and love. It's those who stand on the margins of the stage, calling your name as you whisk by. It's your Broadway partner, Jean, who looks you in the eyes as you dance and laughs off a mistake and texts you later, "I enjoyed our show a lot. It was very alive." It's your husband, Bill, who worked so hard to make the tango right and who, at the end of the journey, said, "You did great." It's your father, who comes in his best suit; it's your friends, John and Andra, with whom you later share dinner; it's Mike, Aideen's Mike, who says, "I had no idea you had that jive thing in you;" it's Magda and her sweet Polish-flavored encouragements; it's Tim, who says, "Yes, you danced it well, and you danced it together;" it's Jim, the quiet choreographer of the very few words, who says, "Your dances were good."

I have no illusions. I don't pretend. I am not headed toward world championship titles, I am not the show-closing star, I am still (and will always be) fussing with the way I stand and move, I will never be "the one." I dance because I love to and I dance in shows like these because my friends are there. Because in the end what does it mean, save that we cheer each other on.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

Yes! You've captured why so many of keep up with dancing for so many years.

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a night of Dancing with the Stars!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!!!

Priya said...

I'm glad it went well!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the lines of a song, something like -What good are our stories if there is no one to tell them to?

It is the people we share life with that make us feel rich as we go!

Amy said...

I love this post....you have so much heart and such a great way to express it. :) I'm glad you have so many wonderful people in your life.

Em said...

Your evening sounds simply marvelous. I wish I could have seen you dance!

p.s. Great accompany photograph, as always. :)

Vivian Mahoney said...

Thanks for sharing the joy, the support and love of the evening with us. I'm so glad you did this. I can only imagine how much feeling you put into your dance--it must have been beautiful.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP