We Can Be Who We Are

Friday, October 2, 2009

The extraordinary week that has been this week found me in a classroom last evening among teens who have lived through the hardest kinds of sorrow and who look at now and look ahead and imagine themselves writing. I'd written a talk. It was soon abandoned. It was more important to sit on a desk with my things sprawled about me and listen for the young writers' stories. We talked about whether or not writing heals, and about whether or not it's possible for writers to write what they do not know. Poems were recited from memory. Early plot lines unspooled. A question asked about the pretensions of books versus the power of movies. One of the girls in the room had been reading Undercover; she described it, with great sophistication, to her peers. One of the young men, a science fiction and horror writer, had also tried to read the book. It wasn't for him, he said, and then he worried that his words had somehow wounded.

I had a copy of Mary Oliver's poem "Wild Geese" in my folder. I read it aloud. It was a still and perfect moment, a poem that spoke with force and meaning to the writers in that room. You do not have to be good, the poem begins. You do not have to walk on your knees/for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.

"I like it a lot," the science fiction writer said. "It means we can be who we are."

10 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Once again shows why sharing is so important.

Anonymous said...

I love that poem, too. It sounds like it was a wonderful evening.

Sherry said...

The Wild Geese poem - that is what your blog tells me/does for me every time I come to visit. I've been wanting to tell you that the last couple of days and couldn't find the words. Then you gave them to me. As usual. Thank you, B.

bermudaonion said...

What a great moment for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Beth, the humanity, frailty, and tenderness of being human is so well captured in this blip of moments. LOVE the poem you quoted. How perfect.

Becca said...

What a gift you gave them, abandoning your planned talk and listening, encouraging them to share their feelings about the healing power of words.

I wish I had been there :)

And now I feel a deep need to read the rest of the Wild Geese poem...

Alix said...

I like that a lot too.

What an amazing evening you all had.

Laurie Schneider said...

I wish I could sit in such a group.

Erin said...

oh, thank you for sharing this beautiful moment.

I only wish I could be there, a part of this group!

Beth F said...

Wonderful evening. Perfect.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP