Christmas Day

Friday, December 25, 2009

"Dad," I'd said, the day before, "do you ever see owls?" (We are the bird watchers in the family, by which I mean, we watch for birds.)

"Just once," he said, "that I remember."

Then, yesterday, I took my son to Valley Forge National Park, where my mother is buried beneath the stone that my father and I designed. She is buried in a place that my father visits everyday, in a place that receives the chiming of bells. I went, as I always do, with something to leave behind—this time a miniature instrument, in memory of the carols we had sung, and this red silk amaryllis. I lay the silk into the snow. I heard a call and looked up; an owl was flying overhead.

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Beth!

Becca said...

A gift from above...literally :)

May all the joy, wisdom, and love of Christmas be yours, Beth.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and may the wisdom of owls surround you!

e said...

Merry Christmas from Germany, Beth!

Priya said...

Merry Christmas, Beth!

Erin said...

Merry Christmas, Beth. :-)
This little story is beautiful. What miracles surround us, always.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Merry Christmas dear friend. This is a gift of amazing beauty. Life affirming. Gifts of nature constantly remind me of this. Thank you. I was fortunate of all days to read it here on Christmas day. Somewhere, somehow I do believe your mom is smiling. (Hugs)Indigo

MaureenHume said...

Some things are too special to try and explain with mere words.

Beth F said...

What a lovely gift. Merry merry Christmas and a healthy and safe new year to you and your family.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP