The Books I Bought This Week

Saturday, January 16, 2010

I have a funny habit of buying books when I know—it's an unbeatable, unbearable fact—that there will be no time to read them. They sit on the chair that sits opposite my desk, their lovely perfect spines toward me. They tease, they seduce until I finally give in—slip one into my bag and take it with me, everywhere.

I steal into a page or two while waiting in the Whole Foods line. I read while warming up for Zumba. I hover over pages while on hold on conference calls. I say to my husband, "Go ahead. No, seriously. You watch that show on the air battles of World War II; I'm just going to go upstairs."

It feels so good it almost feels wrong.

Here are the books that came into my home this week, in the order in which I believe I will read them. (I've already started The Disappeared, and so far it's the dream I thought it would be after reading the review in last week's Times):

The Disappeared (Kim Echlin)
The Girl with Glass Feet (Ali Shaw)
How I Became a Famous Novelist (Steve Hely)
A Jury of her Peers (Elaine Showalter)
Unfinished Desires (Gail Godwin)

12 comments:

Beth F said...

I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the Godwin book. For some reason, I've never read any of her books, but I've always been interested.

Books: each is a hope, something to dream of. I wish I could get to every one I own.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Oh yes, your post hits home here. I have the Godwin book as well (unread) and hope to acquire The Girl With the Glass Feet as well.

Hope u find a little reading time this weekend Beth.

bermudaonion said...

I love to buy books too, to I understand! My husband and I are just like you and yours - he'll stay downstairs and watch TV and I head upstairs to read.

Liviania said...

I want to read HOW I BECAME A FAMOUS NOVELIST as well.

I read between classes, on the bus between campus and my apartment, waiting for the bus, and when I'm eating lunch alone.

Athira said...

You're not alone! I do the same thing, buy books knowing I am not going to get time to read them! But it's so much fun, I can't seem to stop that. LOL

Amy said...

I also have The Girl with Glass Feet waiting for me in my TBR pile and am eager to get to it.

I really want to read A Jury of Her Peers and I'll have to check out The Disappeared. And yes, I buy books I know I won't have time to read as well.

Becca said...

I'm excited there's a new book by Gail Godwin - she's been a favorite of mine for years and years.

I sneak a bit of reading in whenever I can, which would make e-readers very practical for me. Still - no. I just keep stuffing books into tote bags :)

Florinda said...

How I Became a Famous Novelist is on my wish list. And I'm extremely guilty of buying books I don't have time to read - I just did it today, actually :-).

Saints and Spinners said...

I can relate! I know that when I buy a book instead of getting it from the library, it goes further down on my TBR pile because now it has no due date. As much as the long bus commutes used to be, I was glad for them because they meant that I had to read instead of accomplishing something else.

Anonymous said...

What a great pile of books. I wish I read faster!

Book Dragon said...

I'm interested in your take on The Girl with the Glass Feet.


These are the books that showed up in my mailbox this week.


This list doesn't show it but I too buy books that I have no time to read! - LOVE the graphic.

Just One Foot said...

I read "how i became a famous novelist" and was really intrigued! It really says a lot about the publishing industry. It is well written, meaning easy to read quickly, in my world. I hope you love it too.

Judy
justonefoot.blogspot.com

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP