Kim Yu-na, Mao Asada, and Joannie Rochette: What they taught us

Friday, February 26, 2010

Last night, so many of us waited for the final flight of Olympic skaters to perform, and when they entered the ice, I held my breath. So much is at stake, always, for these athletes—for anyone who has named a dream and held to it.

I don't need to report the scores; they're known. Kim Ya-na's record-breaking, cobalt blue performance. Mao Asada's steely, silver triple axels. The sweeping extensions of bronze-medalist Joannie Rochette over elastic knees. And let's not forget the American, 16-year-old Mirai Nagasu, who skated last and flawlessly in the wake of some of the most emotional performances the Olympics has ever seen. We were taught, by these young women, that it is possible to be exquisitely brave or simply exquisite, when the entire world is watching. We were reminded that sometimes power and grace are a single thing.

An arm uplifted is a hand extended. A sideways glance is a dream.

8 comments:

Karen Strong said...

I really enjoyed watching these ladies skate last night. I was especially moved by Kim Ya-na and Joannie Rochette's performances. And Mirai Nagasu is right -- she is the future!

Anonymous said...

I went to bed late to watch--it was worth it.

Unspoken said...

We were reminded that sometimes power and grace are a single thing.

Nice!

Becca said...

How you must love watching these skaters/dancers, knowing how it feels to fly across that frozen stage :) I envy you that remembrance!

Sherry said...

You encapsulate the night beautifully.

Beth F said...

Very true. Power and grace.

Patty Palmer said...

As a Canadian, my heart went to Joannie, but I have never seen an Olympic free skate final with so many error-free performances. Unbelievable, beautiful, strong athletes.
And, of course, your interpretation is beautiful as well!

Courtney said...

Best performances I have ever seen -- the skating, the emotion behind it all. I love the idea of power and grace being a single thing.

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog the other day. Guess we both have skating on the brain!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP