Dangerous Neighbors: the first review

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Every time I post this cover image I sigh, happily.  This evening I am sighing doubly happily, for I have read what is in fact the first review of Dangerous Neighbors, a five-star YABooksCentral review, and it touches my heart deeply.  For now I share these words, which do such an outstanding job of capturing a story that, in my five years of working on it, I struggled to adequately sum up.

Originally I was just going to tell you exactly what the author, Beth Kephart, tells you about Dangerous Neighbors: “It is 1876, the height of the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. Katherine has lost her twin sister, Anna, and though it was an accident, Katherine remains convinced that Anna’s death was her fault. One wickedly hot September day, Katherine sets out for the exhibition grounds to cut short the life she is no longer willing to live. This is the story of what happens.” But that would leave out a lot because Dangerous Neighbors is about more than feeling the loss of a sister. It is about sisters, especially twin sisters, and how they are a part of each other. It is about the inevitable maturing and ultimate growing apart of siblings. It is about the world in 1876 and one parent’s fight for equality. It is about having someone to care for and how that spark of caring can change everything.

Thank you so much, reviewer Ed Goldberg.

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Since my sister is so dear to me, I love stories about sisters. I can't wait for this one!

Julie P. said...

Woo Hoo!!! I'm doing the happy dance for you! Enjoy because you deserve it!

Priya said...

Congrats! The review is fabulous and the book sounds awesome!

Colleen said...

Can't wait to read it!

Becca said...

So excited to read this :)

Cheryl Cato said...

Lovely review! No wonder you are doubly happy!

Anna Lefler said...

Congratulations! So deserved and not at all surprising, of course, but wonderful news nonetheless.

And I've meant to tell you how gorgeous that cover is! Wow! Swooney (is that a word?) indeed.

Cheers!

XO

Anna

Beth F said...

My sisters-in-law are identical twins and so we all always read books that involve twins. Your novel thus already has several eager readers.

Unknown said...

So excited to see an early review! Congrats!

Liviania said...

I am now worried to read this as I am sure it will make me feel terrible about my thesis stories, which are all about twin sisters. But at the same time, I'm still looking forward to it because you are a wonderful writer.

septembermom said...

Awesome review! I'm excited to read this story. I know it will be great :)

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Congratulations!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP