opening lines from a new work in progress

Saturday, April 3, 2010

It was exactly the same. It was worse than before.

“Tara, Honey. We’ll be late.”


Honey. It was her mother’s all-purpose, love-is-a-democracy word. The one-size-fits-all-er that slipstreamed in through every conversation, near and small. “Honey,” Tara’s mother would say to the steakhouse waitress. “I like my A-1 spicy.” “Honeys,” she’d say to the neighborhood twins. “Keep your sweet pup leashed.” Honey was everybody’s name, even Davie’s whenever Davie was home, which was hardly ever since the Great Divorce had split the family in two. Davie came home on Christmas break and every other Thanksgiving, and once a week, on Tuesday evening, Davie was on the phone, calling from the turquoise hills south of Sante Fe, where Tara’s dad ran his jewelry enterprise and let Davie grow his hair shoulder-long. Tara always got the first five minutes with Davie, and then it was her mother’s turn.


“Honey,” she’d say into the receiver. “Honey, how are you?”


Summer was Tara’s mother’s break time. Her freedom spell. Her little bit of something-for-me. Summer was the season of Tara’s exile to the Cousin of Pennsylvania, better known, at least to Tara, as The Bore.


“How can you send me there? Again? Mom?”


Honey.”


7 comments:

Q said...

I like this very much.

Sarah Allen said...

Wow, great work! You have a wonderful voice.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Maya Ganesan said...

Oh, I love this so much. (When I was done reading, I kept scrolling down to see if there was more - it's very intriguing and I just kept wanting to read more and more and more. Really lovely.)

grete said...

There is somehow an inflation in words like Honey, Love, Darling in the English language. In Norwegian the words would have the opposite effect to endearment. Had anyone as much a hinted at a Darling, I would have looked for the nearest exit....

I see that Tara is not overly keen on the use of the word either. “ all-purpose, love-is-a-democracy word” - love that! And looking froward to the rest.....

Beth - you are such a prolific writer! Where do you harvest all these ideas? As for the time aspect, well, I’m not going to ask you when it is that you sleep........

Bidisha said...

This is so beautiful, Beth. I have yet to read any of your books (not available where I live) but I'm scurring the stores.
Is this dytopian? The excerpt doesn't sound like it, but the picture kinda does *ponders*

Becca said...

Oh, honey, I want more of this girl's story...

Okie said...

Great opening. Love the language and the character development. Very nice.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP