The simple gain: from (that) work in progress

Thursday, April 15, 2010

He wore his shorts long and his sandals straight through October, when finally he’d trade them in for his deconstructed Doc Martens, ten years old and split down two seams. She’d met him at Café Conversation, his cousin’s place, where he put such a sugar lip of sweet on the chocolate face of each espresso that the clientele called it candy. Give me some of that candy, Vin. He talked without smash and fraction, without contradiction, without the undercutting hurry of ambition. He preferred, he’d once said, the simple gain.


She wondered about it afterward.


She wondered still. The simple gain.

3 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I want to read more, more, more.

I am in love with the shine in the little girls hair.

Isla said...

I was at the workshop at East today (which I really enjoyed) and I had a question that I didn't have time to ask. I was wondering if you would mind answering.

How do you get people to give you criticism on your work instead of just saying "I like it" or "It's good"?

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh, I love this sentence: "He talked without smash and fraction, without contradiction, without the undercutting hurry of ambition." What a nice way to show him to us, through her "complicated" view. The simple gain. Yes, she would wonder...

Can't wait to read more!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP