Dangerous Neighbors (the book) Arrives

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I could tell the story of this day, but I won't.  I will only say that after a journey up the road and back, and up the road again and back, and then onto the train and into the city and back, I came home to two boxes of books.  Those books.  My books.  My twelfth:  Dangerous Neighbors.

You tire, perhaps, of me singing the praises of Egmont USA.  Let me do it one more time, at least.  Dangerous Neighbors is an unusual historical novel, with crossover possibilities, twin sisters, and 1876 Philadelphia at its heart.  It is a book—perhaps I should start here—that Laura Geringer and Egmont USA chose to believe in.  They chose.  Subsequently they delivered unto it (the book) and me (its maker) the most gorgeous cover a writer could ever hope for.  They secured a copy editor who cared about Philadelphia and history and who asked me spot-on questions in an attempt to get the story right.  They sent me on my way not just to the BEA, but to ALA (treating me like part of their family at each venue), and they have now secured for me a wonderful spot on an upcoming ALAN panel.  They sent library copies of the book my way; in twelve books, I've never seen a library copy.  People are talking about Dangerous Neighbors because of Egmont USA (and Winsome Media's Amy Riley and Nicole Bonia).  Not only that, but Egmont's publicists talk to me:  They pick up the phone and they talk to me.

A writer cannot know the next next.  A writer dreams; some dreams are answered.  The journey that Dangerous Neighbors has taken with Laura Geringer and Egmont USA represents a pressing, percolating dream, answered.  No matter what happens from here on out, I am a lucky one.

Thank you Doug Pocock, Elizabeth Law, Greg Ferguson, Mary Albi, Rob Guzman, Alison Weiss, Nico Medina, Katie Halata, Beth Garcia (by way of Goodman Media), Neil Swaab (cover designer), Kathryn Hinds (freelance copy editor) and, of course Laura Geringer, where this book's published life began.  I remain in awe of all you have done.  One hears so much about what is wrong with publishing.  Egmont USA represents the right.

P.S.  The case cover is G O R G E O U S. And I can thank Nico for that. 

P.P.S. For a reading from the book, please listen here

P.P.P.S.: I have just learned that Dangerous Neighbors is an Indiebound Children's Pick for Fall 2010.

8 comments:

Alice said...

Congratulations, Beth. It's so wonderful to hear an author so happy with her publishing team. The book looks stunning and from what I heard at our mutual reading it is moving, suspenseful, and beautifully written. I can't wait to read it. Best wishes for your time in the world with this book.

bermudaonion said...

This is so exciting! I can't wait to read it.

Maya Ganesan said...

Huge huge congratulations! I'm so glad you love the people you work with...that is truly special. :) Wishing you much more success with Dangerous Neighbors!

Melissa said...

Very exciting, Beth! Can't wait to read it. Many congratulations to you and your special team!

Karen Mahoney said...

Welcome to the world, Dangerous Neighbors! :)

Congratulations, Beth.

Hugs,
Karen

p.s. I hope your husband is recovering.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Beth!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I am sooo thrilled for you, Beth! Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

I'm counting down the days until it is on my bookstore's shelf so I can have my own copy. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP