Literary Inversions

Monday, July 12, 2010

So what would it take, you wonder (do you wonder?) to turn a YA novel into an A novel and an A novel into a YA novel, and to do both things at once to books you've worked on for years, so much so that, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with on another, they begin to float toward one another, and I ask myself (I do ask myself), What if Vin belonged not to Sophie, but to Kenzie, and what if Kenzie were not 18 by 30 and Sophie not 39 but 13?

(That was a question, or multiple questions, so I end it/them with the mark.)

Because everyone is one age at one point or another, and shouldn't a novelist know who their characters were, or who they will grow up to be?

Mind melds in summer.

3 comments:

Beth F said...

One the most gratifying things I've learned from my niece is that good books transcend age designations. I wonder if the age of the protagonist matters more to the publicists than to the readers. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Those are good questions. I wonder sometimes what kind of differences a change in gender would make.

Holly said...

you mean, do we wonder like this girl in your picture does? captivating.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP